FE

Default Paint ceilings and walls using Satin paint?

Greetings:
I have a 1,005 square foot condo. It's going to be painted probably within
a week. The contractor said he could do everything in semi-gloss at a good
price and it would look fine. However, I had received feedback from this
forum and from other sources that semi-gloss might show-up imperfections and
create an undesirable glare, so I'm not going to go that route. The whole
place is going to be done in one color -- something neutral, like Swiss
Coffee. (It appears that going one-color, one-sheen is the least expensive
route -- maybe because the painter doesn't have to mask and "cut" as much.)

MY QUESTION: What if all the walls AND ceilings were painted with Satin
paint? Would that give me a surface that's durable and washable yet doesn't
have the glare of semi-gloss? I would be very interested in your feedback
if you have ever painted your home in all satin. (I'm still going to do
kitchens/bathrooms with semi-gloss.)

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

FE wrote:
[...]

There is no simple yes or no answer. It is all a matter of what
conditions your walls are in, what look you like, how well the job is done,
the specific paint used etc.

You might try getting a small quantity of the paint and try it on a wall
and ceiling and see if you like it.

Frankly I don't think I would like it, but that is just my opinion. You
may love it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

talk to you neighbors as Joe said every place is different,, We cant
see it from here...

dadiOH

FE wrote:
MY QUESTION: What if all the walls AND ceilings were painted with
Satin paint? Would that give me a surface that's durable and
washable yet doesn't have the glare of semi-gloss?

Yes. Reasonably durable at least...much more so than flat, washes easily.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Michael Press

"FE" wrote:
MY QUESTION: What if all the walls AND ceilings were painted with Satin
paint? Would that give me a surface that's durable and washable yet doesn't
have the glare of semi-gloss?

I would recommend against it. I find that the higher the gloss, the
smaller a room looks. I use satin in kitchens and bathrooms (instead
of semi-gloss) for that reason. I only use semi-gloss on trim.

I use eggshell on walls and flat on the celing. I've found that the
eggshell is perfectly cleanable (I've got a 5-year old) and the flat
on the ceiling makes the room look much bigger by making the ceiling
seem to recede. My ceilings were originally eggshell or satin and I
could see every imperfection in the ceiling.

As for one color, just use the same color on the walls and ceiling.
Use the eggshell finish on the walls and flat on the ceiling. I've
found that you can be a bit sloppy at the corner where the finishes
meet - you can't really tell the difference between the 2 finishes
where there's some overlap at the top of the wall (not true for a
whole wall or a touchup though).

Michael