Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil burner controller system

My furnace doesn't seem to start when the thermostat calls for it to
start. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When I place a meter
across the thermostat terminals (T to T) on the controller (Honeywell
R8184G1286) the Beckett AF burner starts and runs for several
cycles...perhaps a week's worth but then won't start until I touch my
meter probes to the T-T terminals the next time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boden" wrote in message
My furnace doesn't seem to start when the thermostat calls for it to
start. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When I place a meter
across the thermostat terminals (T to T) on the controller (Honeywell
R8184G1286) the Beckett AF burner starts and runs for several
cycles...perhaps a week's worth but then won't start until I touch my
meter probes to the T-T terminals the next time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Boden

I had exactly that problem a few weeks ago. After FOUR trips out by the
HVAC company, replacing the controller (in the furnace) solved it.

At first they replaced a flame sensor, then rewired the power vent, but
these did not solve the problem until they replaced the controller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boden wrote:
My furnace doesn't seem to start when the thermostat calls for it to
start. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When I place a meter
across the thermostat terminals (T to T) on the controller (Honeywell
R8184G1286) the Beckett AF burner starts and runs for several
cycles...perhaps a week's worth but then won't start until I touch my
meter probes to the T-T terminals the next time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Boden

Sure sounds like you should call whoever services it for you. I'm hoping
you know also that oil burners do need annual service/tuning.

Among other things. That's where I'd start.

John