Default Looking for new controller

I'm looking for a new controller just now for the gas central heating
and hot water (boiler is a condensing type) the controller installed is
inefficient as it has only one channel so provides space heating when
only water heating is required. It's both or nothing! Well actually the
timer can be set for HW only but the installer put in the system for
their convenience and the timer is inaccessible to change easily.
I want to put in a two channel system with separate boosts and
over-rides (eg on for 20 or 40 or 60 or so minutes) for water and space
heating.
The more control it gives the better.
Something easily operated as well for a 80 year old relative.
Ideally it should have settable times for each day of the week.

Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Tempus 7.
Any more sophisticated models on the market?

Also where might I get 5-core cable for the controller to J/B, similar
fire, smoke and fume rating to FP-200 Gold which the house is wired in.
I can't be bothered with pyro as it's a roundabout cable run due to
concrete floor & brick walls.

Remove all Zeds in e-mail address to reply.
Set Square

Z wrote:

[...]

I assume that your system is intrinsically capable of controlling the HW and
CH separately - and has zone valves or a mid-position 3-port valve for the
purpose?

Is the problem with your current controller simply that it only has one
clock - so that timed operation of the CH has to occur at the same time as
timed operation of the HW? Does it allow each to be independently set to
either Off, Timed, or Constant? If so, a progammable room stat is your
friend - because it has its own timer and can be set to totally different
times from the main programmer. You program the existing programmer for when
you want HW on, and set HW to timed. You set CH to Constant - but allow the
actual timing to be determined by the programmable room stat.

As for an 80-year-old relative being able to drive it - it depends on the
relative! Programmable stats are not necessarily the most intuitive devices
to drive, but the good thing is that once it's set up, they probably won't
need to touch it and - if they do - it's fairly easy to over-ride the set
temperature for a short period.

If my initial assumption is incorrect, and your system *doesn't* have the
necessary valvery - you'll need to get that installed first before any of
the above is any use.

Sorry, can't help with the multi-core cable.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

raden

In message , Z
writes
I'm looking for a new controller just now for the gas central heating
and hot water (boiler is a condensing type) the controller installed is
inefficient as it has only one channel so provides space heating when
only water heating is required. It's both or nothing! Well actually the
timer can be set for HW only but the installer put in the system for
their convenience and the timer is inaccessible to change easily.
I want to put in a two channel system with separate boosts and
over-rides (eg on for 20 or 40 or 60 or so minutes) for water and space
heating.
The more control it gives the better.
Something easily operated as well for a 80 year old relative.

Then you would probably want one which is as simple as possible

Ideally it should have settable times for each day of the week.

For what? I think you're possibly thinking what you want, not what she
might want. A lot of older people want something they can understand
easily

Why not get something like an ST1000?

Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Tempus 7.
Any more sophisticated models on the market?

Also where might I get 5-core cable for the controller to J/B, similar
fire, smoke and fume rating to FP-200 Gold which the house is wired in.
I can't be bothered with pyro as it's a roundabout cable run due to
concrete floor & brick walls.

Plumb center?

--
geoff
Tom

"Z" wrote in message

I'm looking for a new controller just now for the snipped

I'm looking for a substitute for the AQ 6000 which has been discontinued
because Honeywell cannot source essential components for the controller PCB
(20 year old design).
However Honeywell have introduced a new controller/thermostat which looks
interesting it's called : VisionPRO 8000
Unfortunately I cannot find much info on it except a 4 page glossy download
extolling the virtues of its readability and ease of programming.
No technical info (damn it), why do they treat people as morons?
Nothing at all on the Honeywell UK site!!!
Cheers
Tom