Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Icemaker problem

The refrigerator is an Amana BX22TW.
The problem is associated with the icemaker.

We opened the freezer door and found a lot of heavy frost that was in the
1/2 of the freezer that holds the icemaker.
Most of this was almost fluffy. It was in the ice tray and on top of the ice
that was in there.
It was also on the back wall of the freezer and it coated frozen packages
that are in that part of the freezer.
There was a little hard ice that had formed on the lip of the ice container.
The first thing I did was to shut off the water supply at an eternal filter
and raise the arm to the off position.

It is not a case of the water just overflowing. The ice in the container was
not frozen together as if water had been running into the cubes that were
already there . Some of the cubes were stuck slightly stuck together but no
more solidly than what happens sometimes just from the defrost cycle. the
ice is clearing up by itself either due to the defrost cycle or just
sublimation.

I have not tried to turn the water on again yet. What is the most likely
cause of this? I don't want to start shotgunning a repair/replacement.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

There may be other causes, but I had a similar problem and it turned
out to be caused by the refrigerator door not closing tightly. Check
that there's nothing in the way of the door and check the door
gasket.

Joe G

I'd agree. My mother tends to stuff her freezer to the max and beyond
and one time (probably many more than I've witnessed) she managed to
load it so that the freezer door wouldn't quite close. The inside looked
pretty much as the OP described with most of the freezer contents
covered in a thick coat of fluffy ice crystals. This could be a matter
of a bad seal or a door simply not closed tightly enough.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John McGaw" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
[...]

except it could be the defrost timer went out, like on mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

"John McGaw" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
[...]

On my GE I had a similar problem. Frost on the packages and cubes, drips on
the shelves. GE first said that the door wasn't closed. Second time they
replaced a soleniod for the icemaker. Third time they sent a technician ( a
real one). He hooked his laptop to the fridge and took readings. Seems the
freezer was warming 15 degrees too much during the defrost cycle. Turned out
he have to return the printed circuit board and now all is fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Sometimes a cleaning of the door gasket with mild cleaner and warm
water works to help the door seal tighter. Worked for me.

Oren

icemaker problem [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 October 28th 06 06:55 PM
Help, please... Icemaker problem - Please help Mark246 Home Repair 11 September 30th 06 09:58 PM
KitchenAid Refrigerator Icemaker problem BCDrums Home Repair 15 August 2nd 06 03:38 AM
Icemaker problem? ? ? Ray Home Repair 5 July 25th 06 07:47 PM
Icemaker problem Andy Home Repair 12 April 16th 05 03:05 PM