Posted to alt.home.repair

Default KitchenAid Refrigerator Icemaker problem

We have a KitchenAid Superba fridge that we got last August. Has been
working well since then. It has an on-the-door ice maker. Yesterday, we
took the ice bin off the door to fill a cooler. The ice maker dumped one
more load of ice and hasn't made any more.

I noticed it today when I went to get ice. I have removed and replaced
the ice bin, seems okay. I turned the ice maker off and on again via the
blue slider switch. I checked the water dispenser, and it works, so I
think the ice maker is getting water. Nothing is blocking the flap that
tells the ice maker that the freezer door is closed. The ice dispenser
door is not stuck open, and I can hear the spiral thang that stirs the
ice moving when I press the dispenser lever.

It's a hot Sunday here in the Northeast, a bad day to have no ice. Any
ideas on what could be wrong?

BC
overheated
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:23:27 -0400, BCDrums
wrote:

[...]

What shuts off the ice maker when the bin gets full? Look there for
your problem/solution.
And don't forget that it takes almost a week to fill your ice bin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BCDrums wrote in message
.. .
It's a hot Sunday here in the Northeast, a bad day to have no ice. Any
ideas on what could be wrong?

BC
overheated

It seems to me that everyone I know has problems with their ice makers,
except me. I don't have one because it's just too easy to fill four ice
trays and dump them into a bowl in the freezer. :-) Sorry, I'm no help.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

[...]

Probably the photo cell or microswitch that determines the bin is full, is
not activated because the bin is not seated in its mount correctly. It
thinks the bin is full and shut down the icemaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

Probably the photo cell or microswitch that determines the bin is full, is
not activated because the bin is not seated in its mount correctly. It
thinks the bin is full and shut down the icemaker.

I have checked this by eye, and the path appears to be unobstructed.
There is a red light next to the photo eye (I think it's the photo eye)
and the light blinks when the door is open. Is that a clue?

BC

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimL wrote:

What shuts off the ice maker when the bin gets full? Look there for
your problem/solution.
And don't forget that it takes almost a week to fill your ice bin.

A WEEK????

BC
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:

It seems to me that everyone I know has problems with their ice makers,
except me. I don't have one because it's just too easy to fill four ice
trays and dump them into a bowl in the freezer. :-) Sorry, I'm no help.

My previous fridge and ice maker went fifteen years without a problem. I
know people have problems with ice makers, but I used to do the ice tray
dance, and believe me, I have saved MONTHS of time by having that little
chore eliminated.

Stay cool!
BC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:16:57 -0400, BCDrums
wrote:

Cheri wrote:

It seems to me that everyone I know has problems with their ice makers,
except me. I don't have one because it's just too easy to fill four ice
trays and dump them into a bowl in the freezer. :-) Sorry, I'm no help.

My previous fridge and ice maker went fifteen years without a problem. I
know people have problems with ice makers, but I used to do the ice tray
dance, and believe me, I have saved MONTHS of time by having that little
chore eliminated.

Stay cool!
BC

I love my automatic ice maker more than I love my wife.

Mine is 5 1/2 years old -( icemaker, not the wife) and requires a lot
of maintenance.

1. Filled the tray with vinegar when the ice started sticking to the
tray. It removed the scale build up and the tray dumps correctly.

2. For a treat, once every few months I buy bagged ice and dump it
into the ice bin.

3. Every 3 months or so, I 'lift the bail' and stop the ice making
process for a week so that I use up all the ice in the bin, and then I
have new fresh ice. That prevents any old 'bad tasting' ice from
making it into my ice tea. This works great with tip 2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
It seems to me that everyone I know has problems with their ice makers,
except me. I don't have one because it's just too easy to fill four ice
trays and dump them into a bowl in the freezer. :-) Sorry, I'm no help.

I see you don't have kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BCDrums" wrote in message
. ..
We have a KitchenAid Superba fridge that we got last August.

Last August? This is still July. Warranty should be one year.

Call your dealer or: call Customer Service at 1-800-422-1230

Posted to alt.home.repair

It seems to me that everyone I know has problems with their ice makers,
except me. I don't have one because it's just too easy to fill four ice
trays and dump them into a bowl in the freezer. :-) Sorry, I'm no help.

I have KA bottom mount fridge and the icemaker works flawlessly.
In our last house, we had a Sub Zero fridge and its ice maker worked fine
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote in message ...

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
It seems to me that everyone I know has problems with their ice

makers,
except me. I don't have one because it's just too easy to fill four

ice
trays and dump them into a bowl in the freezer. :-) Sorry, I'm no

help.

I see you don't have kids.

My kids are grown now, and I have many grandchildren, but the making my
own ice worked fine when they were all home too, and it still does. When
I have a big party, I buy ice. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote...

Rudy wrote in message ...

I have KA bottom mount fridge and the icemaker works flawlessly.
In our last house, we had a Sub Zero fridge and its ice maker worked

fine
too.

I've never had a day when the "icemaker" didn't work around here. Also
the "icemaker" cleans the whole house, and cooks meals daily. Bet yours
doesn't. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

what a convenient thread...................
yesterday, we changed the PUR (kenmore) water filter on our (one year old)
whirlpool refrig and since then no ice!
we don't hear water running to the ice cube maker at all.
we DO get water out of the door though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message

My kids are grown now, and I have many grandchildren, but the making my
own ice worked fine when they were all home too, and it still does. When
I have a big party, I buy ice. :-)

Cheri

Whatever works for you. My kids never filled the trays and we were often
out of ice. bought a new fridge with icemaker and I'll never go without
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"BCDrums" wrote in message
. ..
We have a KitchenAid Superba fridge that we got last August.

Last August? This is still July. Warranty should be one year.

Call your dealer or: call Customer Service at 1-800-422-1230

As the original poster on Sunday, I have to report that by Monday
morning, my ice bin was full. I have no idea what was wrong (if
anything), but we have ice now for the heat wave.

Be sure to keep plenty of chardonnay on ice in case of emergency.

Thanks for all the replies (even Cheri's).

BC