Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refinishing Hardwood Floor - the poly

I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil based
because it has a slight color. ****!

Anyone ever hear to dilute the first coat with mineral spirits to aid in
sealing?

Thanks,
Red...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 14, 5:55*pm, Red Green wrote:
I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil based
because it has a slight color. ****!

Anyone ever hear to dilute the first coat with mineral spirits to aid in
sealing?

Thanks,
Red...

Take heart, oil based is supposed to be more durable. Dilution should
be OK within reason. Some brands mention what the limit is on the
label. When in doubt, call the manufacturer, or if you are dealing
with a real paint store they will have the answer. I have had no
problems with diluting PU to get the right viscosity for spraying.
Cure is fine, subsequent brush coats OK. Oil based PU is best applied
in the summer because some brands have a major odor problem that
persists for a day or two. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil
based
because it has a slight color. ****!

Anyone ever hear to dilute the first coat with mineral spirits to aid in
sealing?

Thanks,
Red...

I don't know if it aid sealing, but I get a smoother finish after the second
or third coat. I thin about 10%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil
based
because it has a slight color. ****!

Anyone ever hear to dilute the first coat with mineral spirits to aid in
sealing?

Thanks,
Red...

the label states how much it can be thinned, which is usually there because
of the voc laws in place in different parts of the country, rather than what
is technically ok for the product.

the label will also have an 800 # to call for further information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil based
because it has a slight color. ****!

Poly can be tinted. Lookup Trans-Tint dyes used by woodworkers. Do lots of
tests on samples first to get the color Mama wants.

Personally, I like oil and wax better because poly looks kind of plastic to me.
But my kitchen floor has poly because it is resistant to all but the largest
spills and will tolerate those if they are wiped up promptly.

-- Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil
based because it has a slight color. ****!

Anyone ever hear to dilute the first coat with mineral spirits to aid
in sealing?

Thanks,
Red...

Thanks for the replies all.

I chose to pop for the can of sealer. Last thing I wanna do is fix
another one of my F.U.'s :-) It's an alcohol base I believe. Also,
looking at the color after it's sealed, if Bosslady says that's fine then
the option of water or oil base poly is still open.

Red...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Red Green wrote in
:

I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil
based because it has a slight color. ****!

Anyone ever hear to dilute the first coat with mineral spirits to aid
in sealing?

Thanks,
Red...

Thanks for the replies all.

I chose to pop for the can of sealer. Last thing I wanna do is fix
another one of my F.U.'s :-) It's an alcohol base I believe. Also,
looking at the color after it's sealed, if Bosslady says that's fine then
the option of water or oil base poly is still open.

Red...

practice and test colors on some spare leftover pieces, not your floor.