Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Refinishing Hardwood Floor - the poly

On Jan 14, 5:55*pm, Red Green wrote:
I'm at the poing where I'm ready to start poly coats. Mamma wants oil based
because it has a slight color. ****!

Anyone ever hear to dilute the first coat with mineral spirits to aid in
sealing?

Thanks,
Red...

Take heart, oil based is supposed to be more durable. Dilution should
be OK within reason. Some brands mention what the limit is on the
label. When in doubt, call the manufacturer, or if you are dealing
with a real paint store they will have the answer. I have had no
problems with diluting PU to get the right viscosity for spraying.
Cure is fine, subsequent brush coats OK. Oil based PU is best applied
in the summer because some brands have a major odor problem that
persists for a day or two. HTH

Joe