Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Easiest, simplest top loader washer that one can repair themselves?

I'm in market for cheap top loader washer..... live
alone so it wont be used a lot.

However, I'm curious if any brands are more "modular"
or easier to self-repair than others?

Does a $400 Whirlpool washer have direct drive ( no
belts) .....and a modular design for easy repair?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Jan 10, 11:39�am, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:04:07 -0600, wrote:
I'm in market for cheap top loader washer..... live
alone so it wont be used a lot.

However, I'm curious if any brands are more "modular"
or easier to self-repair than others?

Does a $400 Whirlpool washer have direct drive ( no
belts) .....and a modular design for easy repair?

Whirlpool/Kenmore/Roper/Estate (and some I can't think of right now)
all use the same basic hardware. They really don't break often and
when they do they are easy to fix. Basically you will be putting in a
couple sets of agitator dogs, a couple motor couplers and jumperring
out/ replacing the top lid switch if you keep it 20 years (based on my
experiences with the half dozen I have fixed for family and neighbors.
I would go for the mechanical timer style

You could check this out, too. He also has a video on the site on the
subject
http://fixitnow.com/wp/2004/11/11/ma...e-samurai-buy/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:04 am, wrote:
I'm in market for cheap top loader washer..... live
alone so it wont be used a lot.

However, I'm curious if any brands are more "modular"
or easier to self-repair than others?

Does a $400 Whirlpool washer have direct drive ( no
belts) .....and a modular design for easy repair?

If you want cheap to acquire & easy to repair.......

I would suggest an older used Maytag that you pickup cheap on
Craigslist.

People are always moving not wanting to take their machines with them.

I've got a 25+ year old Maytag that used to do ~15 loads a week but in
that last 5 years I'm down to under 10 loads. Only repairs / maint
have been the belts & the water inlet valve assembly.

Get a 10 year old one in decent condition at a good price & it will
most likely last for a LONG time.

My neighbor bought a new front loader combo set for $1200+ and its
had two service calls (so far).

Gotta do a lot of wash to save $1000 in hot & cold water.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:

My neighbor bought a new front loader combo set for $1200+ and its
had two service calls (so far).

Gotta do a lot of wash to save $1000 in hot & cold water.

Yeah I know

My previous washing machine was a Kenmore front loader
built by Figidaire that only lasted 7 years under light
use!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 3:38 pm, zxcvbob wrote:

According to my dad, Maytags have a lot fewer parts and simpler
mechanisms than other brands. Less things to break.

Same from my FIL. I've replaced a couple pumps and transmissions of
other brands in my time, not that bad of jobs, really.

But "we" followed his advice to make him happy... as if he really GAS,
but... you know...
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to me, kiki wrote:
i have a whirlpool duet steam front loader with lcd screen and it needed a new
pump. IT took the repair man several hours to fix it as he had to remove the
entire front of the washer. He said they are the worse to fix

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-280638-.htm