Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Wiring Question

I found a"hot" unused romex cable laying in the dirt under my house.
I can't get back to the point of origin to disconnect. It is on a GFI
circuit. What is the proper way to safely terminate this wire?
Thanks,
Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 3:25 pm, wrote:
I found a"hot" unused romex cable laying in the dirt under my house.
I can't get back to the point of origin to disconnect. It is on a GFI
circuit. What is the proper way to safely terminate this wire?
Thanks,
Phil

Thanks for the responses. The junction box looks like the way I'll
have to go. How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Thanks again,
Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 5, 3:33*pm, wrote:

snip

*How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? * Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape

No.

or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Wire nut the black and white, Connect the green to the box with a
grounding screw. With a plastic box, wire nut everything. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 6:03�pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 5, 3:33�pm, wrote:

snip
�How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? � Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape

No.

or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Wire nut the black and white, Connect the green to the box with a
grounding screw. With a plastic box, wire nut everything. HTH

Joe

what was it originally used for?

might be better to install a outlet, if power is ever needed down there

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:09:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 5, 6:03?pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 5, 3:33?pm, wrote:

snip
?How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? ? Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape

No.

or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Wire nut the black and white, Connect the green to the box with a
grounding screw. With a plastic box, wire nut everything. HTH

Joe

what was it originally used for?

might be better to install a outlet, if power is ever needed down there

Or a light with a pull chain, or both.

A light can add enough warmth in the winter to keep pipes from
freezing.