DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electrical Wiring Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/228783-electrical-wiring-question.html)

[email protected] January 5th 08 08:25 PM

Electrical Wiring Question

I found a"hot" unused romex cable laying in the dirt under my house.
I can't get back to the point of origin to disconnect. It is on a GFI
circuit. What is the proper way to safely terminate this wire?
Thanks,
Phil

Terry January 5th 08 08:41 PM

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:25:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I found a"hot" unused romex cable laying in the dirt under my house.
I can't get back to the point of origin to disconnect. It is on a GFI
circuit. What is the proper way to safely terminate this wire?
Thanks,
Phil

Take it loose at the GFI

Kevin Ricks January 5th 08 08:58 PM

wrote:
I found a"hot" unused romex cable laying in the dirt under my house.
I can't get back to the point of origin to disconnect. It is on a GFI
circuit. What is the proper way to safely terminate this wire?
Thanks,
Phil

The point of origin for that wire has to be inside one of the boxes fed
by the GFCI circuit. You should be able to find and disconnect it from
inside the box.
If you don't want to go to the trouble of figuring that out then just
put an electrical box on the end of the wire and nail it up on the floor
joist. Cut the wires off if exposed and put a blank cover plate on the
box. Also staple the wire up.
You could also use the new box as a junction box and continue with new
wire to somewhere else where you might want a new outlet.
Was there a sump pump are anything like that under there?
Kevin

[email protected] January 5th 08 09:33 PM

On Jan 5, 3:25 pm, wrote:
I found a"hot" unused romex cable laying in the dirt under my house.
I can't get back to the point of origin to disconnect. It is on a GFI
circuit. What is the proper way to safely terminate this wire?
Thanks,
Phil

Thanks for the responses. The junction box looks like the way I'll
have to go. How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Thanks again,
Phil

Joe January 5th 08 11:03 PM

Electrical Wiring Question

On Jan 5, 3:33*pm, wrote:

snip

*How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? * Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape

No.

or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Wire nut the black and white, Connect the green to the box with a
grounding screw. With a plastic box, wire nut everything. HTH

Joe

[email protected] January 5th 08 11:09 PM

Electrical Wiring Question

On Jan 5, 6:03�pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 5, 3:33�pm, wrote:

snip
�How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? � Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape

No.

or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Wire nut the black and white, Connect the green to the box with a
grounding screw. With a plastic box, wire nut everything. HTH

Joe

what was it originally used for?

might be better to install a outlet, if power is ever needed down there

Kevin Ricks January 5th 08 11:36 PM

wrote:
On Jan 5, 3:25 pm, wrote:
I found a"hot" unused romex cable laying in the dirt under my house.
I can't get back to the point of origin to disconnect. It is on a GFI
circuit. What is the proper way to safely terminate this wire?
Thanks,
Phil

Thanks for the responses. The junction box looks like the way I'll
have to go. How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Thanks again,
Phil

If metal box, I would put a wirenut on at least the hot (black) wire
and attach the bare ground wire to the grounding screw. You may have to
purchase the green grounding screw separately.
I like to point the wirenut up so it does not fill with dust or whatever.
If the box is plastic I wouldn't worry about wirenuts and no grounding
needed. Just strip the outer Romex cover a few inches and separate the
wires some.
In either case clip any striped wires back to the insulation.

Kevin

Terry January 5th 08 11:56 PM

Electrical Wiring Question

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:09:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 5, 6:03?pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 5, 3:33?pm, wrote:

snip
?How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside
the box? ? Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it
with electrical tape

No.

or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each
individual conductor?

Wire nut the black and white, Connect the green to the box with a
grounding screw. With a plastic box, wire nut everything. HTH

Joe

what was it originally used for?

might be better to install a outlet, if power is ever needed down there

Or a light with a pull chain, or both. :)

A light can add enough warmth in the winter to keep pipes from
freezing.

S. Barker January 6th 08 01:11 AM

Electrical Wiring Question

put the end in a junction box, and wire nut all conductors. Put a blank
cover on the box. (mount the box, don't leave it in the dirt)