Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Electrical Wiring Question

wrote:
I found a"hot" unused romex cable laying in the dirt under my house.
I can't get back to the point of origin to disconnect. It is on a GFI
circuit. What is the proper way to safely terminate this wire?
Thanks,
Phil

The point of origin for that wire has to be inside one of the boxes fed
by the GFCI circuit. You should be able to find and disconnect it from
inside the box.
If you don't want to go to the trouble of figuring that out then just
put an electrical box on the end of the wire and nail it up on the floor
joist. Cut the wires off if exposed and put a blank cover plate on the
box. Also staple the wire up.
You could also use the new box as a junction box and continue with new
wire to somewhere else where you might want a new outlet.
Was there a sump pump are anything like that under there?
Kevin