Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Below grade electrical wiring

In fixing my pool skimmer plumbing I had to remove about a 12"x18" area of
my concrete pool deck. The deck is a 4" thick concrete slab, then a layer
of 3/4" tile on top.

While fixing the plumbing, I noticed an electrical conduit that went below
the slab, I believe one end of it goes to the exterior wall of the house
where there is a switch and an outlet, and the other end go to a planter
area twenty feet away where there is a conduit coming out with a few
outlets, used for exterior lighting. There are several planter areas around
the pool deck, all with electrical outlets coming out of the ground.

Problem is, the rigid conduit these wires are in, is badly corroded, the
area where I opened up near the skimmer, the conduit was corroded so badly
when I poked it with a stick it broke like a twig, exposing the red wire
inside. I suspect it's the same with all four wires that ran underground to
get power to the planter areas and may be the submerged pool light as well.

Something tells me it's not safe to have exposed hot wires like this
underground especially where it may be wet - near the pool plumbing, in the
planter areas where it could get water from the sprinklers, but it's not
practical to rip up my entire concrete pool deck just to redo it.

Is there a practical solution?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds like you have buried EMT and not galv pipe. There is no practical
way to repair it, although the fact that the wires are wet is not an issue.
Even wires in a galvanized pipe underground will be wet and in contact with
the pipe and ground, etc. I would just make sure the conductors are
protected by ground fault devices on the house side, this way if the
insulation on the wires failed, you would be protected. You would also want
to be sure that there is a separate ground wire in the conduit, and that the
conduit is not used as an equipment ground

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

It sounds like you have buried EMT and not galv pipe. There is no
practical way to repair it, although the fact that the wires are wet is
not an issue. Even wires in a galvanized pipe underground will be wet and
in contact with the pipe and ground, etc. I would just make sure the
conductors are protected by ground fault devices on the house side, this
way if the insulation on the wires failed, you would be protected. You
would also want to be sure that there is a separate ground wire in the
conduit, and that the conduit is not used as an equipment ground

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

MC- Hide quoted text -

if that the only wire in the conduit? how old is the pool?

safety rules have changed a lot. between age and needed safety
upgrades you may have a large project started

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

It sounds like you have buried EMT and not galv pipe. There is no
practical way to repair it, although the fact that the wires are wet is
not an issue. Even wires in a galvanized pipe underground will be wet
and
in contact with the pipe and ground, etc. I would just make sure the
conductors are protected by ground fault devices on the house side, this
way if the insulation on the wires failed, you would be protected. You
would also want to be sure that there is a separate ground wire in the
conduit, and that the conduit is not used as an equipment ground

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

pool was built in 1972.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
The conduit has a single red wire, no white wire or any other wire.

Where does it come from and go again?

What is it hooked to and what other connection(s) is/are on whatever
that device(s) is/are?

This a low-voltage lighting circuit by chance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[...]

Do you have a sprinkler system?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

One conductor doesn't get you very far, unless it is possibly a bonding
conductor. The rebar in the concrete pool deck must be bonded together. If
it is, it will be #8 gauge. Is it definitely an insulated (Red) conductor?

news

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote

While fixing the plumbing, I noticed an electrical conduit that went below
the slab, I believe one end of it goes to the exterior wall of the house
where there is a switch and an outlet, and the other end go to a planter
area twenty feet away where there is a conduit coming out with a few

(snip- Corroded conduit)

Is there a practical solution?

I think so. If the line is unsafe, have it capped off at the house first.
Danger now gone. Next, look and see if it would be easier to just ignore
the old conduit and run a new one with newest safety grade. It wouldnt have
to follow the same lines as the old so might not involve as much under the
pool deck digging to lay it. Depending on the design of your pool deck, it
*might* even be possible to go ontop without creating a trip hazard?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

It sounds like you have buried EMT and not galv pipe. There is no
practical way to repair it, although the fact that the wires are wet is
not an issue. Even wires in a galvanized pipe underground will be wet
and in contact with the pipe and ground, etc. I would just make sure the
conductors are protected by ground fault devices on the house side, this
way if the insulation on the wires failed, you would be protected. You
would also want to be sure that there is a separate ground wire in the
conduit, and that the conduit is not used as an equipment ground

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
m...

[...]

That's what I was thinking of when I read "red wire". My sprinkler
system (installed in 1998) has red wires going to each valve, and
white for common. These wires are not in conduit, but buried with the
pipes.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."