Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Below grade electrical wiring

It sounds like you have buried EMT and not galv pipe. There is no practical
way to repair it, although the fact that the wires are wet is not an issue.
Even wires in a galvanized pipe underground will be wet and in contact with
the pipe and ground, etc. I would just make sure the conductors are
protected by ground fault devices on the house side, this way if the
insulation on the wires failed, you would be protected. You would also want
to be sure that there is a separate ground wire in the conduit, and that the
conduit is not used as an equipment ground

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
In fixing my pool skimmer plumbing I had to remove about a 12"x18" area of
my concrete pool deck. The deck is a 4" thick concrete slab, then a layer
of 3/4" tile on top.

While fixing the plumbing, I noticed an electrical conduit that went below
the slab, I believe one end of it goes to the exterior wall of the house
where there is a switch and an outlet, and the other end go to a planter
area twenty feet away where there is a conduit coming out with a few
outlets, used for exterior lighting. There are several planter areas
around the pool deck, all with electrical outlets coming out of the
ground.

Problem is, the rigid conduit these wires are in, is badly corroded, the
area where I opened up near the skimmer, the conduit was corroded so badly
when I poked it with a stick it broke like a twig, exposing the red wire
inside. I suspect it's the same with all four wires that ran underground
to get power to the planter areas and may be the submerged pool light as
well.

Something tells me it's not safe to have exposed hot wires like this
underground especially where it may be wet - near the pool plumbing, in
the planter areas where it could get water from the sprinklers, but it's
not practical to rip up my entire concrete pool deck just to redo it.

Is there a practical solution?

Thanks,

MC