Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ni-Cad Battery Storage

Hi;

I picked up an 18 volt Dewalt Cordless Drill and a Dewalt Impact gun
that use the same batteries. Each item came with 2 batteries so I now
have 4 batteries. Batteries cost 90 dollars each and I have four of
them. I would like to store two of them for a couple years. I would
use two of them now, and then when they go bad, break out the other
two. Is it possible to store these batteries? What is the best way to
accomplish this if it is possible?

Thanks
Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:03:21 -0800 (PST), komobu
wrote:

Hi;

I picked up an 18 volt Dewalt Cordless Drill and a Dewalt Impact gun
that use the same batteries. Each item came with 2 batteries so I now
have 4 batteries. Batteries cost 90 dollars each and I have four of
them. I would like to store two of them for a couple years. I would
use two of them now, and then when they go bad, break out the other
two. Is it possible to store these batteries? What is the best way to
accomplish this if it is possible?

Thanks
Pat

They can be stored for years and years without maintenance or
degradation. Just store them in a mostly discharged state preferably
in a cool area. Never freeze a Ni-Cad or run the battery down below
..8 volts per cell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 08:40:34 -0800, Smitty Two
They can be stored for years and years without maintenance or
degradation. Just store them in a mostly discharged state preferably
in a cool area. Never freeze a Ni-Cad or run the battery down below
.8 volts per cell.

Hmm. Wouldn't storing them for years run the voltage down below .8 volts
per cell?

It may go below .8volts but it's not being run down so the answer
is no.

So you can let a nicad sit on the shelf dead for years?

Yes. Some tool manufacturers recommend a discharged battery for long
term storage.

I didn't know
that. Same with other rechargeable chemistries?

Li-ion 40% charge in cool area for long term storage.

NiMH ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Best to use them in rotation schedule. They'll actually last longer
that way in the end as you'll get the rated # of charges accurately and
if one battery is NG it'll show up faster so you can get it replaced.
NiCads don't actually have an indefinite shelf life. Permanently
storing two of them is almost sure to give you headaches when you come
to try to use them, especially based on some of the pure SWAGS I see
posted here for you. Storage longer than a year is never recommended
with 6 months being the "norm", under proper conditions.

The basics of storage of such batteries can even vary by manufacturer
and process, so it's always wise to use the horse's mouth for info
rather than the other end as some of the posts here are providing.

Had anyone (or YOU) taken the time, you could have found these two links
and many more in just a second or so:

http://users.frii.com/dlc/battery.htm
and
http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm
which says, and which many other links agree with:
Store NiCad batteries in a dry location with low humidity, no corrosive
gasses, and at temperature range of -20°C to +45°C. Storing batteries
where humidity is extremely high, or where temperatures fall below -20°C
or above +45°C

Because long term storage can accelerate battery self-discharge, and
lead to the deactivation of reactants, locations where the temperature
ranges between +10°C and +30°C are suitable for long term storage.

When storing batteries for more than one year, charge *at least* once a
year to prevent leakage and deterioration of performance due to
self-discharging. When using a rapid voltage detection charger carry out
charge and discharge at least once ever 6 months.
-------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip

When storing batteries for more than one year, charge *at least* once a
year to prevent leakage and deterioration of performance due to
self-discharging. When using a rapid voltage detection charger carry out
charge and discharge at least once ever 6 months.
-------------------------------

" charge *at least* once a year" snip "deterioration of performance"
The above is if you plan on taking the batteries out of storage and
using them at that time. If your storage is truly long term and you
can take the time to charge and discharge a few times to bring the
battery back into service and back to their rated capacity then there
would be no reason to " charge *at least* once a year" You only get
so many cycles out of a Ni-Cad. Why waste them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"komobu" wrote in message
Hi;

I picked up an 18 volt Dewalt Cordless Drill and a Dewalt Impact gun
that use the same batteries. Each item came with 2 batteries so I now
have 4 batteries. Batteries cost 90 dollars each and I have four of
them. I would like to store two of them for a couple years. I would
use two of them now, and then when they go bad, break out the other
two. Is it possible to store these batteries? What is the best way to
accomplish this if it is possible?

Thanks
Pat

Make sure they are really ni-cads. Some of the other recharagabel batteries
have a life time of around 2 to 3 years even if you do not use them.

I think I would rotate all of the batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:02:08 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"komobu" wrote in message
Hi;

I picked up an 18 volt Dewalt Cordless Drill and a Dewalt Impact gun
that use the same batteries. Each item came with 2 batteries so I now
have 4 batteries. Batteries cost 90 dollars each and I have four of
them. I would like to store two of them for a couple years. I would
use two of them now, and then when they go bad, break out the other
two. Is it possible to store these batteries? What is the best way to
accomplish this if it is possible?

Thanks
Pat

Make sure they are really ni-cads. Some of the other recharagabel batteries
have a life time of around 2 to 3 years even if you do not use them.

I think I would rotate all of the batteries.

My experience is that nicads will last nearly forever as long as they are in
use. Typically I'll recharge once or twice a week with universal remote
control batteries getting least at about every three months.

Leave the batteries unused in a draw somewhere for 9 months and they'll be
ruined. Recharging twice a year might not be bad advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience is that nicads will last nearly forever as long as they are in
use. Typically I'll recharge once or twice a week with universal remote
control batteries getting least at about every three months.

My experience, 25 plus years tells me they will NOT even come close to
lasting 25 years, even with normal use.

Leave the batteries unused in a draw somewhere for 9 months and they'll be
ruined. Recharging twice a year might not be bad advice.

Please site a link as to how a Ni-Cad becomes unusable (non
recoverable) after non use of 9 months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
snip

When storing batteries for more than one year, charge *at least*
once a year to prevent leakage and deterioration of performance due
to self-discharging. When using a rapid voltage detection charger
carry out charge and discharge at least once ever 6 months.
-------------------------------

" charge *at least* once a year" snip "deterioration of performance"
The above is if you plan on taking the batteries out of storage and
using them at that time. If your storage is truly long term and you
can take the time to charge and discharge a few times to bring the
battery back into service and back to their rated capacity then there
would be no reason to " charge *at least* once a year" You only get
so many cycles out of a Ni-Cad. Why waste them?

You should read the rest of the article/s, not just an excerpt. A pair
of tool batteries will typically last quite a bit longer than a year, so
if the other two are neglected for that entire period of time, they may
not even be batteries any longer, just crystalized resistors that can't
be recovered. RTFM applies here; don't expect everything handed to you
on a silver plate; do your own work and the act accordingly and you'll
be a lot happier. The xxx discharge/charge cycles, if you read the
article, are not going to happen unless they are treated properly.
That's why the scheduled rotation works best to get the maximum life
from them, and that life will be much longer than storing, forgotten,
for a couple of years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:12:21 GMT, Twayne wrote:
wrote:
My experience is that nicads will last nearly forever as long as
they are in use. Typically I'll recharge once or twice a week with
universal remote control batteries getting least at about every
three months.

My experience, 25 plus years tells me they will NOT even come close to
lasting 25 years, even with normal use.

Leave the batteries unused in a draw somewhere for 9 months and
they'll be ruined. Recharging twice a year might not be bad advice.

Please site a link as to how a Ni-Cad becomes unusable (non
recoverable) after non use of 9 months.

If you've been reading, you already have a link available for that
information.

He hasn't the skill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Please site a link as to how a Ni-Cad becomes unusable (non
recoverable) after non use of 9 months.

If you've been reading, you already have a link available for that
information.

9 months? Ridiculous to suggest it. A Ni-Cad sitting on a shelf may be
unusable and drained but not unrecoverable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From the post you were responding to..........

Please site a link as to how a Ni-Cad becomes unusable (non
recoverable) after non use of 9 months.

*************************************
Please take a reading comprehension course.

Which word in "my experience" don't you understand? I've had at least ten sets
of batteries run for 2-3 years with no problems, go out of use, and then be
unuseable after 7-12 months.

I'll quote you "Please take a reading comprehension course."

Does unusable equal unrecoverable? Who is it that needs the refresher?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:12:21 GMT, "Twayne"

My experience is that nicads will last nearly forever as long as
they are in use. Typically I'll recharge once or twice a week with
universal remote control batteries getting least at about every
three months.

My experience, 25 plus years tells me they will NOT even come close to
lasting 25 years, even with normal use.

Leave the batteries unused in a draw somewhere for 9 months and
they'll be ruined. Recharging twice a year might not be bad advice.

Please site a link as to how a Ni-Cad becomes unusable (non
recoverable) after non use of 9 months.

If you've been reading, you already have a link available for that
information.

Please quote. I'll wait.............

Long term Ni-Cad Battery storage... LoneStar Home Repair 5 July 3rd 07 12:26 AM
STORAGE BOX J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 01:31 AM
changing from 1.5V battery to 9V battery GuitarPsych Electronics 18 April 10th 06 12:11 AM
TOY STORAGE J T Woodworking 0 October 24th 05 05:16 AM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM