Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Avery[_2_] Thomas Avery[_2_] is offline

Default Ni-Cad Battery Storage

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:58:54 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:03:21 -0800 (PST), komobu
wrote:

Hi;

I picked up an 18 volt Dewalt Cordless Drill and a Dewalt Impact gun
that use the same batteries. Each item came with 2 batteries so I now
have 4 batteries. Batteries cost 90 dollars each and I have four of
them. I would like to store two of them for a couple years. I would
use two of them now, and then when they go bad, break out the other
two. Is it possible to store these batteries? What is the best way to
accomplish this if it is possible?

Thanks
Pat

They can be stored for years and years without maintenance or
degradation. Just store them in a mostly discharged state preferably
in a cool area. Never freeze a Ni-Cad or run the battery down below
.8 volts per cell.

Hmm. Wouldn't storing them for years run the voltage down below .8 volts
per cell?

It may go below .8volts but it's not being run down so the answer
is no.

So you can let a nicad sit on the shelf dead for years? I didn't know
that. Same with other rechargeable chemistries?

Pretty expensive batteries. Around here they run $47-48.