Posted to alt.home.repair

Default return air register with filter; make it?

Do they make a return air register with room for an air filter? The
registers in my house are one stud space long - 16", and about 8 - 10"
high. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 3:40�pm, werwer wrote:
Do they make a return air register with room for an air filter? �The
registers in my house are one stud space long - 16", and about 8 - 10"
high. �Thanks.

you can likely modify one to fit, the cheap cardboard and fiberglass
type.

the downside is it will decrease airflow and may raise heating and
cooling costs

a friends wife has too many birds, their dander clogs the furnace
filter.

he blocked completely the air return from the bird room.

no more troubles
Posted to alt.home.repair

"werwer" wrote in message
Do they make a return air register with room for an air filter? The
registers in my house are one stud space long - 16", and about 8 - 10"
high. Thanks.

No, there is no need for them and they can cause more flow problems than
solve air quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you can likely modify one to fit, the cheap cardboard and fiberglass
type.

the downside is it will decrease airflow and may raise heating and
cooling costs

That's what I did. I clean them every two weeks. Sure wish they had
something you could just slip in and out. It's amazing what these
filters catch in the low velocity air. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"werwer" wrote in message
Do they make a return air register with room for an air filter? The
registers in my house are one stud space long - 16", and about 8 - 10"
high. Thanks.

http://www.airguidemfg.com/rg-11.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

"werwer" wrote in message
Do they make a return air register with room for an air filter? The
registers in my house are one stud space long - 16", and about 8 - 10"
high. Thanks.

Mcmaster-Carr sells them. http://www.mcmaster.com page 601. I'm not sure
they are available in the smaller sizes. You better make sure you can find
the filters to fit before you buy them. As others mentioned it will affect
the balance of your system as the filters do restrict the air flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 3:30 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"werwer" wrote in message

Do they make a return air register with room for an air filter? The
registers in my house are one stud space long - 16", and about 8 - 10"
high. Thanks.

No, there is no need for them and they can cause more flow problems than
solve air quality.

I have seen them used where a furnace is in an attic or crawl space,
and the filter would be much more accessible in the dwelling unit.
Whenever I have seen them, they are on systems where there is only one
return grille, and they are standard size filters. Of course, since
this is the ONLY filter on the furnace, it isn't any more restrictive
than a filter that was at the furnace.

JK

Vent/register and air return register covers. Dan P Home Repair 2 September 8th 07 06:23 PM
Combi boiler: filter on return necessary? JavaEnquirer UK diy 12 April 9th 06 06:10 PM
return air filter Gary Home Repair 4 March 8th 06 12:40 AM
Securing HVAC air-return filters to the return plenum blueman Home Repair 1 October 24th 05 03:46 AM