Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default return air register with filter; make it?

On Dec 30, 3:30 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"werwer" wrote in message

Do they make a return air register with room for an air filter? The
registers in my house are one stud space long - 16", and about 8 - 10"
high. Thanks.

No, there is no need for them and they can cause more flow problems than
solve air quality.

I have seen them used where a furnace is in an attic or crawl space,
and the filter would be much more accessible in the dwelling unit.
Whenever I have seen them, they are on systems where there is only one
return grille, and they are standard size filters. Of course, since
this is the ONLY filter on the furnace, it isn't any more restrictive
than a filter that was at the furnace.

JK