Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary

Default return air filter

I have a blue fiberglass looking air filter in the return air grill.I also
have a filter in the unit itself that is replaceable. do I need both?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"Gary" wrote in message
I have a blue fiberglass looking air filter in the return air
grill.I also have a filter in the unit itself that is
replaceable. do I need both?

Are they part of the original design? Are they supposed to be t
here? Etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would just use the filter in the unit itself...get a decent pleated
filter instead of those blue fiberglass filters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Stick to the blue fiberglass filter. Do not use a pleated filter
unless you have your air flow tested and verified as adequate. The
pleated filters catch more dirt, but they are very restrictive to air
flow. I have measured air flow for 18 years and find pleated filters
reduce system air flow by around 10 to 20 percent. Most people have
very low air flow to begin with. If you MUST use a pleated filter,
change it every month as they load up fast.

A pleated filter has 2.5 times the resistance to air flow that a
fiberglass filter has. In 90 days, that doubles or triples.

The Only exception is if you have a variable speed blower in your
furnace. Then a pleated filter is OK, just don't leave it in 90 days.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary

The filter that have is not pleated.It is washable and reusable
"Stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Stick to the blue fiberglass filter. Do not use a pleated filter
unless you have your air flow tested and verified as adequate. The
pleated filters catch more dirt, but they are very restrictive to air
flow. I have measured air flow for 18 years and find pleated filters
reduce system air flow by around 10 to 20 percent. Most people have
very low air flow to begin with. If you MUST use a pleated filter,
change it every month as they load up fast.

A pleated filter has 2.5 times the resistance to air flow that a
fiberglass filter has. In 90 days, that doubles or triples.

The Only exception is if you have a variable speed blower in your
furnace. Then a pleated filter is OK, just don't leave it in 90 days.

Stretch

Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Light Forever Green Naugahyde Home Repair 17 December 20th 17 07:34 PM
Usual water filter rootep Home Repair 2 January 20th 06 07:38 AM
Usual water filter rootep Home Ownership 2 January 20th 06 02:03 AM
poor furnace/ac filter fit coloradotrout Home Repair 11 August 28th 03 10:24 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM