Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Do not like my home A/C control box

I have a wall mounted A/C control box. It has a few whizbang
programming/scheduling features, which we do not use. We just set
temperature, because someone is always home anyway.

This control has two AA batteries inside and when the batteries run
out of juice, it just dies.

To me, this is very bad, since if it happens when we go on vacation,
in winter, the house is going to freeze, resulting in expensive
damage.

I am really livid that someone could design a control like this,
actually.

In any case, I am looking for a replacement that is designed for
reliability, and not for selling to suckers.

Any suggestions? I am personally totally open to the old style round
controls that just have a temp dial and heat/cool switch. I would
further prefer something that is smart enough not to need a heat/cool
switch and would maintain temp inside a band.

Posted to alt.home.repair, alt.hvac

On Dec 24, 5:38 pm, Ignoramus2318
wrote:
[...]

Just for fun, let's call it a thermostat.

Calm down, lower your "lividity" and get over the fact that you aren't
in love with it.

The "low battery" indicator comes on about 10 days before the
batteries actually die, so it isn't that big a deal. Many Honeywell
models are "power stealing" where the batteries are just there to hold
the programming, and the power from the wires going to the furnace
provides power to run the electronics. Batteries in these last for
several years.

Round thermostats are still available and widely used. Your local
hardware store can help, or you can continue to rant about it on the
internet.

Happy Holidays!

JK

On 2007-12-25, Big_Jake wrote:
Just for fun, let's call it a thermostat.

Calm down, lower your "lividity" and get over the fact that you aren't
in love with it.

The "low battery" indicator comes on about 10 days before the
batteries actually die, so it isn't that big a deal. Many Honeywell
models are "power stealing" where the batteries are just there to hold
the programming, and the power from the wires going to the furnace
provides power to run the electronics. Batteries in these last for
several years.

Round thermostats are still available and widely used. Your local
hardware store can help, or you can continue to rant about it on the
internet.

Thanks. Regarding 10 day warning, I have to admit that I do not check
it that often. I have looked at thermostats on various websites and it
seems that many thermostats are of "dual power" type, which means
battery plus wire power is used. I think that I will look for one of
those.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a bunch of mercury bulb thermostats in about every shape, brand
etc. being the packrat I am. I have at least one that can be set to a
heating and cooling temp separately and will switch automatically. If
you are really serious and want one, it is yours. There are also
digitals that do not require batteries. What type of system you got?
Heatpump, gas or oil heat with a/c or what. Reply in here first-- my
Email is full and I need to weed out some so I can receive mail Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 7:32*pm, (lp13-30) wrote:
I have a bunch of mercury bulb thermostats in about every shape, brand
etc. being the packrat I am. I have at least one that can be set to a
heating *and cooling temp separately and will switch automatically. If
you are really serious and want one, it is yours. There are also
digitals that do not require batteries. What type of system you got?
Heatpump, gas or oil heat with a/c or what. Reply in here first-- my
Email is full and I need to weed out some so I can receive mail * Larry

Replace the 1$ batteries every 1 yr or 2, or go waste your time and
money and be happy and waste 50$, then come back for here for a
efficency and a set back unit, and your name is only ignoranus?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If Iggy wants a simple thermostat w/o batteries, he will not have to
waste a dime. I am offering to send him one, or even several to choose
from-- FREE. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Zyp Zyp is offline

Ignoramus2318 wrote:
On 2007-12-25, Big_Jake wrote:
[...]

Ignoramus;

If you find that you do not have enough wires to provide power to an
electronic thermostat [why the batteries], you can try asking your HVAC
technition about a product called "add a wire" by Totaline. Not somthing
you can find at HD Store. But it might be an answer to your limited wiring
[if running a new cable is not in the future.]

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair, alt.hvac

I dont trust our whiz bang thermostat either so I added a cheap simple
regular thermost in the basement. Leave it set at minimum temp 50
degrees......

If whiz bang flakes out the backup in the basement will keep things
from freezing.

although its a good idea to yearly replace all batteries, smoke
detectors, thermostat, emergency flashlights etc.

do it every spring when time change is spring forward
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote in message
I dont trust our whiz bang thermostat either so I added a cheap simple
regular thermost in the basement. Leave it set at minimum temp 50
degrees......

If whiz bang flakes out the backup in the basement will keep things
from freezing.

although its a good idea to yearly replace all batteries, smoke
detectors, thermostat, emergency flashlights etc.

do it every spring when time change is spring forward

If it had been done right in the first place, it wouldn't be an issue. There
are now Honeywell controls with *all* of the bells and whistles that only
need 3 wires to connect the head unit on the wall to the actual control box
at the furnace or air handler. The only thing is that its only available
through your local dealer.

On Dec 25, 7:26*pm, Don Ocean wrote:
wrote:
I dont trust our whiz bang thermostat either so I added a cheap simple
regular thermost in the basement. Leave it set at minimum temp 50
degrees......

If whiz bang flakes out the backup in the basement will keep things
from freezing.

although its a good idea to yearly replace all batteries, smoke
detectors, thermostat, emergency flashlights etc.

do it every spring when time change is spring forward

Many battery operated thermostats have an emergency lock on at 55ºF
When the battery gets so low it can no longer display the LO battery
signal that it has been displaying for 2 months. Also some thermostats
will sound a peep from time to time to attract your attention to the
lo battery display. Another old fashioned alternative is to keep your
woman at home! She will bitch and nag constantly if it gets too cold or
too hot. In fact she will gladly provide this service just at the
thought of having to stay home. *;-) Ummm.. I think the W/R 9400 cheapo
does all of the above..

I also was going to mention the fact that many electronic models have
a failsafe mode where a mechanical switch closes for heat at 45 or
so. I'd also wonder why anyone would be so annoyed at having to
change the batteries. Perhaps the unit in question uses too much
power compared to the typical electronic thermostat today? The
batteries in mine can last for several years and give weeks, if not
months worth of warning to replace.

In any case, if all that is wanted is a mechanical, they are still
available.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:
[...]

Other option!