Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rodents making home in GENERATOR CONTROL BOX

Something happened and my Onan DJE generator does not run.
Specifically, it starts, but as soon as I release the starter, it
stops. (I test it at least once a month).

An investigation showed that there is no voltage at a terminal to the
holding coil of the fuel shutoff solenoid (this terminal is supplied
through the NC OFF switch and safety relays to make sure that the
generator can be turned off manually or if safety conditions are
violated).

If I connect this terminal to +12VDC, the generator happily runs, but
this is obviously wrong as it bypasses safeties and the off switch.

When I opened the control box, I found a lot of stuff suggesting that
it became a rodent nest. It was completely completely full of
"bedding". I had to vacuum it all out.

So, at this point I will have to find the wire that they damaged and
replace it.

What I want to hear is how can I prevent them from setting home in the
generator again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6620 wrote:

[...]

Aluminum window screen over openings and vents usually works fine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6620 wrote:
[...]

throw the generator away, then it's not a problem anymore.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent
them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

You might consider placing some D-con in the space instead. If they
return, they won't last long enough to do any damage, and the D-con won't be
available to harm other wildlife.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent
them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

You might consider placing some D-con in the space instead. If they
return, they won't last long enough to do any damage, and the D-con won't be
available to harm other wildlife.

I have some rodent poisons, already, but I am afraid that they might
die inside the control box. That's my concern with poisons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6620 wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're
furnishing it with bedding as well???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:49:37 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus6620 wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're
furnishing it with bedding as well???

Pete, I thought that fiberglass insulation is a very hostile material
and the rodents will not like it. That was my hope. Maybe I am
mistaken. After having worked in an attic with this stuff, I
personally would hate to come in close contact with it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent
them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

You might consider placing some D-con in the space instead. If they
return, they won't last long enough to do any damage, and the D-con won't be
available to harm other wildlife.

I have some rodent poisons, already, but I am afraid that they might
die inside the control box. That's my concern with poisons.

*Hint* - Keep them OUT of the control box... and the windings too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6620 wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're
furnishing it with bedding as well???

Pete, I thought that fiberglass insulation is a very hostile material
and the rodents will not like it. That was my hope. Maybe I am
mistaken. After having worked in an attic with this stuff, I
personally would hate to come in close contact with it.

Rodents nest in fiberglass insulation all the time. You need to keep the
rodents out of the space, and aluminum window screen works well for
sealing the vent openings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6620 fired this volley in
:

wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I
prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

You might consider placing some D-con in the space instead. If
they return, they won't last long enough to do any damage, and the
D-con won't be available to harm other wildlife.

I have some rodent poisons, already, but I am afraid that they might
die inside the control box. That's my concern with poisons.

They must seek water to make the poison work. They generally will die
elsewhere.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent
them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

You might consider placing some D-con in the space instead. If they
return, they won't last long enough to do any damage, and the D-con won't be
available to harm other wildlife.

I have some rodent poisons, already, but I am afraid that they might
die inside the control box. That's my concern with poisons.

*Hint* - Keep them OUT of the control box... and the windings too.

Pete, yes, I actually like your screening suggestion, but the holes
are placed such that it is very hard to screen them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in
:

wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I
prevent them from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're
furnishing it with bedding as well???

Pete, I thought that fiberglass insulation is a very hostile material
and the rodents will not like it. That was my hope. Maybe I am
mistaken. After having worked in an attic with this stuff, I
personally would hate to come in close contact with it.

Rodents nest in fiberglass insulation all the time. You need to keep
the rodents out of the space, and aluminum window screen works well
for sealing the vent openings.

Hell! I cleaned out a nest they'd built from 6061 turnings!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I
prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

You might consider placing some D-con in the space instead. If
they return, they won't last long enough to do any damage, and the
D-con won't be available to harm other wildlife.

I have some rodent poisons, already, but I am afraid that they might
die inside the control box. That's my concern with poisons.

They must seek water to make the poison work. They generally will die
elsewhere.

LLoyd

It is very nice. Then poison seems to be the best answer so far. I
will try to fit screening also, I am not sure if I can.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus6620 wrote:

*Hint* - Keep them OUT of the control box... and the windings too.

Pete, yes, I actually like your screening suggestion, but the holes
are placed such that it is very hard to screen them.

Then screen (I prefer 1/8" hardware cloth to window screen) every
opening larger than 1/8" in either direction on the place the generator
lives. If need be, build the generator a cage. Meanwhile, buy a dozen
snap traps with the large plastic trigger and set them around the
generator - I don't even bother with bait (and thus, don't attract
anything new into the space with the scent of food). Clean them out and
reset daily.

Couldn't hurt to invite the local cats around as well, but that only
works for stupid mice or patient cats.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6620 wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're
furnishing it with bedding as well???

Pete, I thought that fiberglass insulation is a very hostile material
and the rodents will not like it. That was my hope. Maybe I am
mistaken. After having worked in an attic with this stuff, I
personally would hate to come in close contact with it.

I think you'll find that rodents don't mind it at all. In fact, they
make nice little nests in it.

Jim Chandler

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent
them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

You might consider placing some D-con in the space instead. If they
return, they won't last long enough to do any damage, and the D-con won't be
available to harm other wildlife.

I have some rodent poisons, already, but I am afraid that they might
die inside the control box. That's my concern with poisons.

*Hint* - Keep them OUT of the control box... and the windings too.

Pete, yes, I actually like your screening suggestion, but the holes
are placed such that it is very hard to screen them.

It's probably easier than you think. You can cut a patch of the screen a
bit oversized, and fasten it to the outside of the particular enclosure
with 5 minute epoxy if need be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 2, 5:47 pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus6620 wrote:
[...]

Cydrome, when did you become a troll?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6620 wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:54:38 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're
furnishing it with bedding as well???

Pete, I thought that fiberglass insulation is a very hostile material
and the rodents will not like it. That was my hope. Maybe I am
mistaken. After having worked in an attic with this stuff, I
personally would hate to come in close contact with it.

I think you'll find that rodents don't mind it at all. In fact, they
make nice little nests in it.

Jim Chandler

He needs a good mouser or a good mauser. Either one will eliminate the
problem.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
J Miller

wrote:
"Ignoramus6620" wrote: (clip) What I want to hear is how can I
prevent them
from setting home in the generator again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A rag soaked in cat urine?

I was thinking along the lines of stufffing loose fiberglass
insulation into the control box.

So, not only are you providing the rodents with a home, you're
furnishing it with bedding as well???

Pete, I thought that fiberglass insulation is a very hostile material
and the rodents will not like it. That was my hope. Maybe I am
mistaken. After having worked in an attic with this stuff, I
personally would hate to come in close contact with it.

Personal experience - mice and pack rats are immune to fiberglass
irritation. Infact, they will pack all over the place to make nests.

I use 1/8 or 1/4 inch square hardware cloth to block access - epoxy in place
as previously mentioned.

Haven't figured out how to keep the buggers out of the cars though. One
year I had over $800 in wiring damages to 3 vehicles!

J Miller in rural WY

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6620 wrote:
[...]

Watch-snake? ;-)

cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Ignoramus6620 wrote:

When I opened the control box, I found a lot of stuff suggesting that
it became a rodent nest. It was completely completely full of
"bedding". I had to vacuum it all out.

So, at this point I will have to find the wire that they damaged and
replace it.

What I want to hear is how can I prevent them from setting home in the
generator again.

Depending on how willing you are to keep up with it, rodents HATE the
smell of mothballs. We scatter a few in strategic areas, and they last
for months (depending on the ventilation).

I agree with your assessment that poison results in dead mice stinking
up the place. The bars that I've found most effective contain an
anticoagulant that takes a few days to kill 'em and they usually seek
out the comfort of their home base to die. I like to deny them entrance
to the buildings, and provide bait stations outdoors. The stations keep
out pets, etc. The vermin die in the woods. If you have sufficient
predators in the area, don't use the poison, though, 'cause the poisoned
rodents might get eaten by the local dogs/cats/whatever, and that ain't
fair. In my case, our dogs and one cat are too old to be of much help,
so chemical warfare is called for.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:33:38 -0400, Joe wrote:

Depending on how willing you are to keep up with it, rodents HATE the
smell of mothballs. We scatter a few in strategic areas, and they last
for months (depending on the ventilation).

I still have some left of the original box of mothballs I bought
twenty plus years ago ( I keep them in a glass jar) to evict skunks
from under the back shed - I just drop three or four through a hole in
the floor every couple years. One little skunk decided it would be a
good idea to make a nest and raise a family under the step at the back
door and even carried the moth ball I had tossed in, back out the
hole. She gave up however when I started pouring a daily cupful of
chlorine bleach down the crack between the step and the house.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:33:38 -0400, Joe wrote:

Depending on how willing you are to keep up with it, rodents HATE the
smell of mothballs. We scatter a few in strategic areas, and they last
for months (depending on the ventilation).

I still have some left of the original box of mothballs I bought
twenty plus years ago ( I keep them in a glass jar) to evict skunks
from under the back shed - I just drop three or four through a hole in
the floor every couple years. One little skunk decided it would be a
good idea to make a nest and raise a family under the step at the back
door and even carried the moth ball I had tossed in, back out the
hole. She gave up however when I started pouring a daily cupful of
chlorine bleach down the crack between the step and the house.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

At least you didn't try an ammonia chaser.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:44:52 -0400, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:33:38 -0400, Joe wrote:

Depending on how willing you are to keep up with it, rodents HATE the
smell of mothballs. We scatter a few in strategic areas, and they last
for months (depending on the ventilation).

I still have some left of the original box of mothballs I bought
twenty plus years ago ( I keep them in a glass jar) to evict skunks
from under the back shed - I just drop three or four through a hole in
the floor every couple years. One little skunk decided it would be a
good idea to make a nest and raise a family under the step at the back
door and even carried the moth ball I had tossed in, back out the
hole. She gave up however when I started pouring a daily cupful of
chlorine bleach down the crack between the step and the house.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I don't know Gerry, it is pretty bad when a Skunk thinks
your place stinks so bad it doesn't want to stick around ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:25:38 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

I don't know Gerry, it is pretty bad when a Skunk thinks
your place stinks so bad it doesn't want to stick around ;-)

I just send them four doors up the street to visit my neighbour, they
have a business called "Wild Things" and do wild animal control. If I
called them it would cost me money, but if I send the critters to
them, the critters become their problem.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:25:38 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Leon
Fisk quickly quoth:

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure she just -loved- the apartment, but all the chlorine in the
pool was turning her hair green. She simply had to leave.

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

wrote:
[...]

J Miller in rural WY- Hide quoted text -

I use the sticky mouse traps in cars....

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:

Moth balls

What if you don't have tweezers, and a microscope?

Find a larger moth.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Moth balls

What if you don't have tweezers, and a microscope?

Find a larger moth.

Harold

Mothra?

prove it.