Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tip for removing stripped screws

Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richcosta wrote:
Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Short tern, use a Dremel type tool and a disk to cut a slot in the head.
Turn with a standard screw driver.

Long term, think about investing in some Torx and square head screw drivers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Richcosta wrote:
Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Almost certainly Robertson screws:

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/

They're actually pretty good. You can easily find the
special screwdrivers and/or bits to fit them. Even
the big box stores usually have some.

But if they're rounded, your best bet is a damaged
screw remover. Sears sell them:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...id=00952154000

Don't pay the regular price unless you need it right
now -- they seem to mark them down to $4.99 or $9.99
on almost every sale event. Worth buying a set at
that price. They work more often than not although
it's not a perfect solution.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richcosta wrote:
Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

-snip-

Not all that creative- but how about a screw extractor?
['easy out' type]
http://homerepair.about.com/od/inter..._extractor.htm

[hollow bit type]
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...erings_id=2354

I've never used the latter- and have had various results with the
former.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 4:18 pm, Richcosta wrote:
Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have also had good luck using a cutoff attachment to a dremel
tool. Use it to cut a narrow a slot across the top of the screw and
then use a regular screwdriver to extract the screw. It is simple to
do and has always worked for me. I have found this method to be
easier than using a screw extractor. If you do not have a dremel,
they are fairly inexpensive and are an extremely useful tool to have
in your tool bag. So you can use this problem as an excuse to buy
one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richcosta wrote:

Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

so where are you? Robertson screws we got here in Canada.
There is or are extractor bits available in varying sizes
depending on the screwhead which when you turn them left
(like unscrew) byte into the head and unscrew or loosen
the screw
rw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:18:57 -0800 (PST), Richcosta
wrote:

Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Take a spare Robertson bit and shorten it by a small amount
leaving sharp corners. The bit is tapered so that it should also
be a slight bit larger and impossible to bottom out completely.

Next take your special made bit and attach it to a impact driver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? *These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. *They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. *Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Take a spare Robertson bit and shorten it by a small amount
leaving sharp corners. The bit is tapered so that it should also
be a slight bit larger and impossible to bottom out completely.

Next take your special made bit and attach it to a impact driverhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

You can also, sometimes, tap them around with a small chisel util you
can get pliers or some kind of vise-grip tool onto them?
Sounds like someone has 'screwed up' (excuse the pun) some either Torx
or Roberstson screw heads. When replacing use something that you have
drivers for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you have some Robertson screws. Must have gotten them from a
Canadian friend as we don't normally allow Americans to use them ) ( long
bitter patent war).

Seriously these type of screws can be removed using a screw extractor. The
extractor looks like a drill bit but the spiral is in the opposite
direction. When you turn this extractor counterclockwise the spiral digs
into the screw head and the screw comes out naturally. This toy has saved
many a project, There are typically 3 sizes of these extractors. They are
hardened steel . Ask santa to bring you a kit of 3. The kit should set you
back roughly $18 us

"Richcosta" wrote in message
Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 21, 4:36*pm, "DanG" wrote:
I agree with tnom. *I call them a hand impact driver. *Position
the tip, crank to the left, hit with a hammer. *It will take out
some mighty stubborn screws, like stripped out #3 Phillips head in
hinges, etc.

snip

Harbor Freight 93481 $6 with bits. If you've never used one it will be
revelation.

Joe

Door hing---stripped screws by construction crew Thomas G. Marshall Woodworking 11 March 7th 06 05:23 AM
Removing hand saw screws Dan Kratville Woodworking 2 November 28th 05 03:32 AM
Stripped Torx screws _ZZ Home Repair 39 August 25th 05 05:59 PM
removing security screws Paul MR Home Repair 2 May 4th 05 03:50 PM
Removing broken screws and other things brush-head UK diy 6 March 13th 05 01:48 AM