Paul MR

Default removing security screws

What is the best tool to remove security (one way) screws from window bars?
The device I bought for $15 at Home Depot just slides off the screws and
is basically useless. (It sort of resembles a miniature lug nut wrench
with a little washing machine agitator inside. It is used with a power
drill.) Suggestions appreciated.
Paul in San Francisco
zxcvbob

Paul MR wrote:
What is the best tool to remove security (one way) screws from window
bars? The device I bought for $15 at Home Depot just slides off the
screws and is basically useless. (It sort of resembles a miniature lug
nut wrench with a little washing machine agitator inside. It is used
with a power drill.) Suggestions appreciated.
Paul in San Francisco

If you don't mind ruining the screw, a left-handed drill bit in a
reversible variable-speed electric drill does a good job.

Bob
Robert Allison

Paul MR wrote:
What is the best tool to remove security (one way) screws from window
bars? The device I bought for $15 at Home Depot just slides off the
screws and is basically useless. (It sort of resembles a miniature lug
nut wrench with a little washing machine agitator inside. It is used
with a power drill.) Suggestions appreciated.
Paul in San Francisco

If I just have a couple to remove, I use a small set of
visegrips. Where it is convenient, I also have used a cut off
blade on a dremel tool to make a slot, then use a straight
screwdriver. I will send a guy around to grind all the slots,
then we go around with a drill driver to remove the screws.
That works well when you have a lot of them to do.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Removing broken screws and other things brush-head UK diy 6 March 13th 05 01:48 AM
Removing really stuck flat head screws... Joe Metalworking 43 January 16th 05 01:34 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Security Screws PrecisionMachinisT Home Repair 7 October 15th 04 10:21 PM
CPU-socket (370) & cooling block: screws with springs, how tight? peter dingemans Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 03 02:35 PM