Posted to alt.home.repair
PaulD PaulD is offline

Default Tip for removing stripped screws

On Dec 20, 4:18 pm, Richcosta wrote:
Hi,

Any creative tips for removing screws whose heads have nothing to
catch? These are neither regular or Phillips Head screws. They have
a special bit, kind of in the shape of a square. Anyway, the inside
of the head is now a round, smooth circle.

Any ideas for removing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have also had good luck using a cutoff attachment to a dremel
tool. Use it to cut a narrow a slot across the top of the screw and
then use a regular screwdriver to extract the screw. It is simple to
do and has always worked for me. I have found this method to be
easier than using a screw extractor. If you do not have a dremel,
they are fairly inexpensive and are an extremely useful tool to have
in your tool bag. So you can use this problem as an excuse to buy
one.