Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window Condensation Problem

I recenrtly added a bead of caulk sealant to all the gaps in my old casement
windows to keep the cold air from coming in this winter. The side effect
seems to be a great deal of condenstation on the inside of the windows,
which has turned into an unpleasant combination of rust and mold. I can
deal with the rust, but cannot abide the mold.

Aside from new insulated windows--which would be nice--are there any
suggestions to reducing the condensation? Seriously, by morning they look
like a glass of ice water on a hot day.

Thanks.

Dana

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 12:28 pm, "Dana John Hill"
wrote:
I recenrtly added a bead of caulk sealant to all the gaps in my old casement
windows to keep the cold air from coming in this winter. The side effect
seems to be a great deal of condenstation on the inside of the windows,
which has turned into an unpleasant combination of rust and mold. I can
deal with the rust, but cannot abide the mold.

Aside from new insulated windows--which would be nice--are there any
suggestions to reducing the condensation? Seriously, by morning they look
like a glass of ice water on a hot day.

Thanks.

Dana

Plastic window film or storm windows
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 9:43 pm, "Mark" wrote:
Your windows must have been really drafty if when you sealed the gaps they
started fogging up. regardless, as Ransley suggests, making some plastic
storm windows would be your best bet. If your casements are like my old
ones, there wasn't any wood trim around them, just plaster right to the
window with small 'stop molding' trim right at the metal. I built wood
frames out of 1x2 and covered them with a good quality clear plastic
sheeting (I got mine at a fabric store like JoAnns, not the flimsy drop
cloth stuff the box stores sell for this.). I made the frames about 3/8"
smaller than the opening, then stapled 3/4" felt weather-stripping around
the outside. This provided a snug fit for the window, without damaging the
wall finish. Worked wonders for the condensation and was pretty clear for
viewing out the window (more so than the ice that formed without them!

"Dana John Hill" wrote in messagenews:uJidnUMfnbx3IvvanZ2dnUVZ_sqinZ2d@gigan ews.com...

I recenrtly added a bead of caulk sealant to all the gaps in my old
casement windows to keep the cold air from coming in this winter. The side
effect seems to be a great deal of condenstation on the inside of the
windows, which has turned into an unpleasant combination of rust and mold.
I can deal with the rust, but cannot abide the mold.

Aside from new insulated windows--which would be nice--are there any
suggestions to reducing the condensation? Seriously, by morning they look
like a glass of ice water on a hot day.

Thanks.

Dana- Hide quoted text -

It's not clear to me exactly where the mositure is occuring. Do you
have storm windows and it's occuring between the regular window and
the storm window? Or do you mean it's occuring between the windows?

If you don't have storm windows, then I agree the logical step is to
get them, which will also save energy.

You should also identify sources of added moisture in the house.
Humidifier? Bathrooms with showers not vented?

Window condensation / sweats [email protected] Home Repair 30 December 4th 06 04:55 PM
window condensation frankg Home Repair 8 October 20th 05 10:44 PM
Window condensation Gareth Haynes UK diy 4 September 8th 05 10:12 PM
Window AC Condensation Hole [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 2nd 05 06:36 PM
window condensation inside... M&B Home Repair 18 October 27th 03 06:00 AM