Default Window AC Condensation Hole

I just installed a Haier 5200 btu unit into a bedroom. I looked for a
hole in the bottom of it for the condensation to drip out, but there
was not one. The only thing the manual mentioned about it was that it
should be installed at a 5 degree tilt.

Should I drill a hold into the bottom of it or ignore it. I certainly
don't want to be smelling mildew/moldy air coming out of it this
summer.

Thanks.
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I just installed a Haier 5200 btu unit into a bedroom. I looked for a
hole in the bottom of it for the condensation to drip out, but there
was not one. The only thing the manual mentioned about it was that it
should be installed at a 5 degree tilt.

Should I drill a hold into the bottom of it or ignore it. I certainly
don't want to be smelling mildew/moldy air coming out of it this
summer.

Thanks.

NO, don't drill a hole. The unit is designed to use the condensate to help
cool the unit. The fan will usually have a slinger ring to spray the water
on the coil. The drain pan will direct the water to the proper spot.

The ACs are designed to run this way and millions of them do. Your
"improvement" will void the warranty and potentially cause damage. People
have ended up trashing brand new ACs doing what you propose.

Appliance Repair Aid

I just installed a Haier 5200 btu unit into a bedroom. I looked for a
hole in the bottom of it for the condensation to drip out, but there
was not one. The only thing the manual mentioned about it was that it
should be installed at a 5 degree tilt.

Should I drill a hold into the bottom of it or ignore it. I certainly
don't want to be smelling mildew/moldy air coming out of it this
summer.

Thanks.

Hi,

A copy:

Q - My air conditioner never drips any water out the back, isn't it
suppose to?

A - *Most room air conditioners are designed NOT to drip water out the
back. The condenser fan blade has a ring built into it to pick up the
water and "sling" the water against the hot condenser tubing to help
keep the coils cooler when the unit is running.
This slinger can sometimes be heard "swooshing" the water around when
the fan is running. This is one way modern a/c are use less hydro be
reusing the cooler water to help cool the hot coils.
* Usually only larger unit's may have a drain spout on the back of the
a/c.

The only thing the manual mentioned about it was that it
should be installed at a 5 degree tilt.

Yupper, 5-10 degree tilt towards the back allows the water fro mthe
evaporator in the front travel to the hot condensor at the back of the
unit.

Should I drill a hold into the bottom

Nope, we repair 4-6 units every year with a drilled hole through one of
the refrigerant lines!! Often is a $150-200 repair!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/