Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Raising the bathroom

Greetings.....I have a bathrom that slopes down over a inch or so at one
end, the foundation has sunk that much over the last almost 50 years.
Too costly too raise foundation so I want to put in another floor on top
of the old one and bring it back to level. The main thing is raising the
bathtub and toilet.
Question: How is the bathtub fixed to the floor?...I have a large
crawlspace below the bathroom but I don't see any ancores or fastners,
is it held by gravity? I really just need to raise one end of tub to
level out with the new floor....which would just be some well ancored
plywood. Basiclly just getting everything in bathroom to be bubble
level again.
Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Dec 15, 9:42 pm, (Chris) wrote:
Greetings.....I have a bathrom that slopes down over a inch or so at one
end, the foundation has sunk that much over the last almost 50 years.
Too costly too raise foundation so I want to put in another floor on top
of the old one and bring it back to level. The main thing is raising the
bathtub and toilet.
Question: How is the bathtub fixed to the floor?...I have a large
crawlspace below the bathroom but I don't see any ancores or fastners,
is it held by gravity? I really just need to raise one end of tub to
level out with the new floor....which would just be some well ancored
plywood. Basiclly just getting everything in bathroom to be bubble
level again.
Thanks,

All that holds it in is the drywall and possibly some clips along the
wall suggest youcut the drywall 18 to 24 inches up all the way
around , Take the drain piece out of the bottom and remove the
overflow plate then turn it on its front then on its end then walk it
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 12:28�am, jim wrote:
On Dec 15, 9:42 pm, (Chris) wrote:

[...]

i would get the bathroom checked for structural soundness, termites
may have eayten away the sill, stuff like that should be fixed before
cosmetics are fixed,

do you know exactly why the area dropped and that its done moving?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:28�am, jim wrote:

On Dec 15, 9:42 pm, (Chris) wrote:

[...]

if you have a crawl space why don't you jack it up rather than putting a
new floor in?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 7:41Â*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:28�am, jim wrote:

On Dec 15, 9:42 pm, (Chris) wrote:

[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

You are going about it wrong, fix your foundation and try to raise it
1" in 10 ft or so is bad, to level a tub you usualy have to remove it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hallerb and the others are correct. I realize that you probably haven't
had the house for the 50 years, but do you know if the house settled
1/50" per year, or if it was level for 49 1/2 yrs and settled an inch
suddenly. What you are wanting to do is certainly possible, but will
likely be a lot of work and end up looking like a patch job, and if the
house settles more after you finish, you will not have accomplished
much. More info and details will get you more advice on solutions.
Larry

Duct raising JohnnyC Home Repair 2 August 7th 07 04:41 PM
Raising Bathroom floor on existing joists and floorboards Lisa Bates UK diy 7 January 6th 07 04:45 PM
Raising Land John Keyser Home Ownership 5 August 13th 05 04:57 AM
raising the lathe Dan Valleskey Woodturning 16 December 1st 04 04:58 AM
Raising the roof David @nospam.cod UK diy 11 July 5th 03 02:58 PM