Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

John Keyser

Default Raising Land

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on finding out how much it would
cost to raise a parcel of land, without having to pay too much just to
find out. I'm considering trying to build a house, and there's a
particular piece of land I like. However, it currently lies in a flood
plain (and thus can't get a building permit) and would need to have fill
brought in to raise it (at least in some parts of the parcel) by
probably 4-5 feet or so. I would consider doing this, but would need
some estimate of what it would cost. Preferably, I'd like to avoid
paying hundreds of dollars just to find out that it would be so
expensive that I'd rather buy something else.

Does anyone know:
a) Who I would ask to get such an estimate? I'm not ready to select an
architect/builder or anything.
b) If there would be any problems getting such an estimate without
actually owning the land (i.e. would I have to get some type of
agreement from the seller)?
c) What the rough cost for getting such an estimate might be?

Thanks for any help, or even pointers to some other location that might
help.
- John Keyser

First step, I'd contact the municipality to verify that it's even
permissible to do what you are thinking about. Many areas won't allow
people to fill in flood plains, or it may be considered wet lands and
have environmental restrictionson what you can do. In many of those
cases, the engineering studies, environmental studies, permits, etc,
just to find out if you can do what you want to do, can take more time
and money than the actual fill work.

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
John Keyser wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on finding out how much it would
cost to raise a parcel of land, without having to pay too much just to
find out. I'm considering trying to build a house, and there's a
particular piece of land I like. However, it currently lies in a flood
plain (and thus can't get a building permit) and would need to have fill
brought in to raise it (at least in some parts of the parcel) by
probably 4-5 feet or so. I would consider doing this, but would need
some estimate of what it would cost. Preferably, I'd like to avoid
paying hundreds of dollars just to find out that it would be so
expensive that I'd rather buy something else.

My advice:

If hundreds of dollars are already an issue then pass.

Dimitri

John A. Weeks III

In article ,
John Keyser wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on finding out how much it would
cost to raise a parcel of land, without having to pay too much just to
find out. I'm considering trying to build a house, and there's a
particular piece of land I like. However, it currently lies in a flood
plain (and thus can't get a building permit) and would need to have fill
brought in to raise it (at least in some parts of the parcel) by
probably 4-5 feet or so. I would consider doing this, but would need
some estimate of what it would cost. Preferably, I'd like to avoid
paying hundreds of dollars just to find out that it would be so
expensive that I'd rather buy something else.

Do some math. Figure out the length and width of the area
in feet. Multiple the two. Then multiply by 5 (the depth).
Divide by 27 to get the number of cubic yards. Then call a
local excuvating company and ask how much a yard it is for
pit-run fill to be delivered to your site. Mutiply the number
of yards by the cost per yard.

I see a price here locally of $3 per yard for the gravel,
1.20 per yard for loading, and 35 cents per mile to haul it.

So, if you site is an half-acre, it is 209 by 105. That comes
out to be 4000 yards (or so). Lets say they have to haul it
15 miles. You get a cost of $9.45 per yard delivered to your
site. The total cost would be around $40,000. That doesn't
include leveling or compacting, or site prep work.

Can you put the house on stilts like they do in Louisiana?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Charles Spitzer

"John Keyser" wrote in message
[...]

ask the local building department if you can just raise the footprint of the
house, not the entire lot.

the cost would be dependant upon cost of fill, hauling, compacting, and
testing. you may need flood control abatements (rip-rap, etc) to protect
against erosion of the pad. this is all highly dependant upon your local
conditions.

DIY conveyancing-plot of land R P McMurphey UK diy 10 February 18th 05 09:18 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
New Electrical Regulations Tony Bryer UK diy 278 September 25th 03 08:53 PM