John A. Weeks III

In article ,
John Keyser wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on finding out how much it would
cost to raise a parcel of land, without having to pay too much just to
find out. I'm considering trying to build a house, and there's a
particular piece of land I like. However, it currently lies in a flood
plain (and thus can't get a building permit) and would need to have fill
brought in to raise it (at least in some parts of the parcel) by
probably 4-5 feet or so. I would consider doing this, but would need
some estimate of what it would cost. Preferably, I'd like to avoid
paying hundreds of dollars just to find out that it would be so
expensive that I'd rather buy something else.

Do some math. Figure out the length and width of the area
in feet. Multiple the two. Then multiply by 5 (the depth).
Divide by 27 to get the number of cubic yards. Then call a
local excuvating company and ask how much a yard it is for
pit-run fill to be delivered to your site. Mutiply the number
of yards by the cost per yard.

I see a price here locally of $3 per yard for the gravel,
1.20 per yard for loading, and 35 cents per mile to haul it.

So, if you site is an half-acre, it is 209 by 105. That comes
out to be 4000 yards (or so). Lets say they have to haul it
15 miles. You get a cost of $9.45 per yard delivered to your
site. The total cost would be around $40,000. That doesn't
include leveling or compacting, or site prep work.

Can you put the house on stilts like they do in Louisiana?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com