Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears snow thrower engine governor and throttle link spring question

I've got a Sears snow thrower model 536.884670, engine number
143955071 that wouldn't run for more than a few minutes and only with
the choke on full. I bought a new carburetor for it and in
reinstalling I'm not sure where to connect the governor link and
spring. There is a small part that moves with a connection hole on
the back of the carburetor.
Sears.COM has the parts list and a drawing of each part but it doesn't
show how to put it back together. I connected the spring (part 19A)
from the connection hole on the carburetor to the governor lever (part
16) 0and got it started without using the governor link (part 186) but
the engine runs way too fast and exhausts a huge cloud of black smoke.

So, I guess the governor link should connect to the governor lever but
where does the spring go? Does one end might go in the same
connection hole on the back of the carburetor as the governor link?
Where the heck is the other end of the spring supposed to go?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The most general way I've seen it done is that the governor link AND the
end of the pring go into the same hole on that moving part on the back
of the carb.

The spring pull acts to open the throttle and the link from the governor
acts to close the throttle as the engine speed increases.

A balance is reached so the engine runs at the desired speed. Pulling
harder on the spring means the engine has to speed up so the pull from
the governor linkage balances the spring force.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 12:51 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

If you can find the Tecumseh number you might get some information
he

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...ora.cgi/05066/

If you click on the Cast Iron Engines Service Information link there
is some good pictures:

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...ine-specs.html

I am surprised that it is not listed at this site.

http://sears.pammar.net/tcross.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some good stuff here. http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm
wrote in message
[...]

Snow Thrower Engine Backfires At Exhaust Jay Chan Home Repair 12 January 28th 11 08:48 PM
Starting a Snow Thrower. PaPaPeng Home Repair 5 October 30th 06 12:58 PM
Lawn Boy 8237 Governor Spring Rod Dahl Home Repair 2 April 26th 06 11:47 PM
Snow thrower yaofeng Home Repair 14 December 7th 05 03:42 AM
Small Engine Governor Question Chris Lewis Home Repair 10 May 30th 05 02:50 PM