Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More than one wire to a hole/set-screw on neutral bus bar?

From: "bud--"

Somewhat repeating gfretwell - ground wires can be doubled up but only
if the label indicates that is permitted.

I will check the label shortly and report back. I think it's a Square-D
circa 1981.

Neutrals may NOT be doubled up - NEC 408.41

Well, at least I can be thankful I'm not completely senile. I do recall
reading one to a hole *somewhere* during my life. IIRC, it was because the
setscrew wouldn't hold two wires as securely as one, but it seems there are
other considerations as well.

In a service panel you can add a ground bar which the label indicates is
acceptable and move ground wires to it. In a subpanel that doesn't help.

It's a main panel in a very small house. More details to follow for the
experts.

ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - you could take a neutral from an
A-leg circuit and a neutral from a B-leg circuit, wirenut them together
with a single wire to the neutral bar. It is easy to do this wrong.

I don't think I want to fill the panel with wire nuts and pigtails. And if
it's easy to do wrong, I doubly want to stay away from that procedure!

Thanks for your input, bud.

--
Bobby G.