Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220 neutral wire question

This is perhaps a safety question. Most of the disconnects to 220v
appliances are two hots plus ground (I have an air conditioning
compressor, a well pump, and an accessory heater wired this way) with
no neutral wire. The neutral isn't "necessary" as each hot is 180
degrees out of phase negating the need for a separate neutral.

But doesn't this mean if there is a short the appliance case AND the
separate disconnect box (if metal) are BOTH electrified since their
grounds are connected and there is rarely if ever a separate
ground-to-earth at the appliance?

If so is this why 220v household clothes dryers are now four wire (hot
hot neutral ground) or is there something in the dryers that needs 120v
and thus needs the neutral for the 120v circuit?

If the disconnect were to a subpanel that is a different issue since
the subpanel would require a distinct neutral (old school was to combo
neutral and ground at the downstream panel but I think code frowns on
that now).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article .com, wrote:
This is perhaps a safety question. Most of the disconnects to 220v
appliances are two hots plus ground (I have an air conditioning
compressor, a well pump, and an accessory heater wired this way) with
no neutral wire. The neutral isn't "necessary" as each hot is 180
degrees out of phase negating the need for a separate neutral.

Right so far...

But doesn't this mean if there is a short the appliance case AND the
separate disconnect box (if metal) are BOTH electrified since their
grounds are connected and there is rarely if ever a separate
ground-to-earth at the appliance?

Well, yes, but that's no different from a 120V appliance that develops a
hot-to-case short, except that the voltage is higher.

If so is this why 220v household clothes dryers are now four wire (hot
hot neutral ground) or is there something in the dryers that needs 120v
and thus needs the neutral for the 120v circuit?

The latter. In a typical electric dryer, only the heating elements are 240V.
The motor and timer are 120V. Likewise in an electric range: the elements are
240V, and the control circuits are 120V.

If the disconnect were to a subpanel that is a different issue since
the subpanel would require a distinct neutral (old school was to combo
neutral and ground at the downstream panel but I think code frowns on
that now).

If that ever was permitted by Code, it must have been over 20 years ago. I'm
quite sure that the 1984 Code prohibited it.

--
Regards,

Download Nfilter at
http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Doug Miller wrote:

In article .com, wrote:
This is perhaps a safety question. Most of the disconnects to 220v
appliances are two hots plus ground (I have an air conditioning
compressor, a well pump, and an accessory heater wired this way) with
no neutral wire. The neutral isn't "necessary" as each hot is 180
degrees out of phase negating the need for a separate neutral.

Right so far...

But doesn't this mean if there is a short the appliance case AND the
separate disconnect box (if metal) are BOTH electrified since their
grounds are connected and there is rarely if ever a separate
ground-to-earth at the appliance?

Well, yes, but that's no different from a 120V appliance that develops a
hot-to-case short, except that the voltage is higher.

Incorrect, the voltage is still 120V. The two hot legs of the 240V
circuit are 240V relative to each other, but each is only 120V relative
to the ground or neutral which are bonded together at the service
entrance.

Pete C.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "Pete C." wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article .com,

wrote:
[...]

Sorry, you're right of course. Thanks for catching that.

--
Regards,

Download Nfilter at
http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Sorry, you're right of course. Thanks for catching that.

We all say things slightly inaccurately now and then.
If there was a short to ground, you could conceivably get 240v if you
somehow also contacted the other hot. Not too likely, but not impossible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

ground at:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...ound/index.htm

general at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

see floating neutral at:
http://www.codecheck.com/pdf/electri...plep39elec.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
This is perhaps a safety question. Most of the disconnects to 220v
appliances are two hots plus ground (I have an air conditioning
compressor, a well pump, and an accessory heater wired this way) with
no neutral wire. The neutral isn't "necessary" as each hot is 180
degrees out of phase negating the need for a separate neutral.

But doesn't this mean if there is a short the appliance case AND the
separate disconnect box (if metal) are BOTH electrified since their
grounds are connected and there is rarely if ever a separate
ground-to-earth at the appliance?

Unless there is a failure of the ground wire the short to the appliance
case be a short to ground and the breaker will kill the circuit and both
legs will be cut if it was properly connected to begin with.

Exactly what I was thinking. How people can be saying that the
appliance and the disconnect case will both be hot at 240V is beyond
me.

If so is this why 220v household clothes dryers are now four wire (hot
hot neutral ground) or is there something in the dryers that needs
120v and thus needs the neutral for the 120v circuit?

They are providing for a neutral for 120V needs, like a timer.

If the disconnect were to a subpanel that is a different issue since
the subpanel would require a distinct neutral (old school was to combo
neutral and ground at the downstream panel but I think code frowns on
that now).

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the disconnect were to a subpanel that is a different issue since the subpanel would require a distinct neutral (old school was to combo neutral and ground at the downstream panel but I think code frowns on that now.

If that ever was permitted by Code, it must have been over 20 years ago. I'm quite sure that the 1984 Code prohibited it.

I'm looking in one of my older subpanels and it appears to me that
there are separate yet bonded together neutral and ground bars. Older
but under 20 years old I'm sure. In other words the line input from
the main panel is separated (three wire plus ground) but on the load
side at the subpanel it looks like ground and neutral are the same.
The subpanel goes have its own earth ground.

I'm thinking what I describe above would not meet today's code?

main panel subpanel
hot----------------hot
hot----------------hot
neutral-----------neutral + ground
ground----------(to above)
| |
| |
earth earth

Extending the Neutral Wire for AFCI & GFCI Breakers in a Breaker Panel [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 29th 06 04:45 PM
New light fitting - Live and Neutral wire question [email protected] UK diy 18 April 3rd 06 11:43 AM
Votage Appearing Between White Neutral And Gnd Wire ? Robert11 Home Repair 8 April 28th 05 03:57 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
Electrical Question new Home Repair 11 November 4th 03 06:54 PM