Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default 220 neutral wire question

In article . com, wrote:
If the disconnect were to a subpanel that is a different issue since the

subpanel would require a distinct neutral (old school was to combo neutral and
ground at the downstream panel but I think code frowns on that now.

If that ever was permitted by Code, it must have been over 20 years ago. I'm

quite sure that the 1984 Code prohibited it.

I'm looking in one of my older subpanels and it appears to me that
there are separate yet bonded together neutral and ground bars. Older
but under 20 years old I'm sure. In other words the line input from
the main panel is separated (three wire plus ground) but on the load
side at the subpanel it looks like ground and neutral are the same.
The subpanel goes have its own earth ground.

I'm thinking what I describe above would not meet today's code?

That's correct -- it does not meet current Code. Moreover -- if it's less than
20 years old -- it did not meet Code at the time of installation either.

main panel subpanel
neutral-----------neutral + ground
ground----------(to above)
| |
| |
earth earth

Remove the jumper connecting neutral and ground in the subpanel.

--
Regards,