Posted to alt.home.repair

Default return air duct in basement

I am finishing my basement. There was previously one duct to supply
the entire unfinished basement with air, which left it a little cool
in the winter. Now I'm creating a mechanical room of only about 150
sqft, a bathroom of 50 sqft, and a main room of about 700 sqft. I
have added two additional supply lines to heat the basement to a
comfortable temperature, and plan to install the requisite two
combustion air grates to "connect" the mechanical and main room. Do I
need to add a return air duct as well? Is it advisable or not for any
particular reason?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 12:48 pm, wrote:
I am finishing my basement. There was previously one duct to supply
the entire unfinished basement with air, which left it a little cool
in the winter. Now I'm creating a mechanical room of only about 150
sqft, a bathroom of 50 sqft, and a main room of about 700 sqft. I
have added two additional supply lines to heat the basement to a
comfortable temperature, and plan to install the requisite two
combustion air grates to "connect" the mechanical and main room. Do I
need to add a return air duct as well? Is it advisable or not for any
particular reason?

I did the same and put in a closeable return, I only open it when im
working in the basement as it seems to heat faster. If the basement
needs AC it should cool it better as well and circulate air better
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am finishing my basement. There was previously one duct to supply
the entire unfinished basement with air, which left it a little cool
in the winter. Now I'm creating a mechanical room of only about 150
sqft, a bathroom of 50 sqft, and a main room of about 700 sqft. I
have added two additional supply lines to heat the basement to a
comfortable temperature, and plan to install the requisite two
combustion air grates to "connect" the mechanical and main room. Do I
need to add a return air duct as well? Is it advisable or not for any
particular reason?

If you are planning to install a bath fan that will exhaust to the outside,
you should install a small duct to provide make up air from outside into the
furnace room. There have been issues with basement bath fans pulling flue
gases down the chimney and into the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am finishing my basement. There was previously one duct to supply
the entire unfinished basement with air, which left it a little cool
in the winter. Now I'm creating a mechanical room of only about 150
sqft, a bathroom of 50 sqft, and a main room of about 700 sqft. I
have added two additional supply lines to heat the basement to a
comfortable temperature, and plan to install the requisite two
combustion air grates to "connect" the mechanical and main room. Do I
need to add a return air duct as well? Is it advisable or not for any
particular reason?

I would put returns in the basement. The air circulation will help maintain
an more even temp, and will help dehudimidify the basement when you're
running the AC in the summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.A. Michel wrote:

wrote in message

I am finishing my basement. There was previously one duct to supply
the entire unfinished basement with air, which left it a little cool
in the winter. Now I'm creating a mechanical room of only about 150
sqft, a bathroom of 50 sqft, and a main room of about 700 sqft. I
have added two additional supply lines to heat the basement to a
comfortable temperature, and plan to install the requisite two
combustion air grates to "connect" the mechanical and main room. Do I
need to add a return air duct as well? Is it advisable or not for any
particular reason?

I would put returns in the basement. The air circulation will help
maintain an more even temp, and will help dehudimidify the basement
when you're running the AC in the summer.

Any fuel burning heating systems in a basement must be sealed from a
Return Air!
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html -
udarrell

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES & WISDOM Principled PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated Again)
NO attacks on Iran - NO severe economic sanctions, negotiate peace!

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm (A page full of links to my pages.)

How Obama & Edwards can Win over Hillary in the Iowa caucuses
http://www.udarrell.com/iowa_primary...s_speeches.htm

It is time to IDENTIFY THE REAL ENEMIES OF HUMANITY and create a "DEPARTMENT OF PEACE - HR 808)" that will preempt the Department of War, - camouflaged as the Department of Defense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...tment_of_Peace

How much can your Constructive Wisdom Principled Communicated Ideas be worth to America & the world; Trillions?

If President Bush "unjustifiably" bombs the huge number (hundreds) of identified targets in Iran, there could be an oil shortage causing a global economic catastrophe. Could your effective communications stop this tragedy from happening? How many LIVES & TRILLIONS of Dollars would that save & be worth?

There's nothing more unjust or terrorizing than modern warfare & it is totally self-defeating. He now has 30,000-lb 15-ton Depleted Uranium (DU) Bunker Busting bombs, the DU has a life of 4.5 billion deadly years and causes cancer & chromsome damage resulting in horrid unbelievable genocidal birth deformities.

Iran is NO immediate threat & could be a friend of America; leave Iran alone! NO economic sanctions either! Military actions & economic sanctions are fundamentally self-defeatng & extremely costly in every human dimension.

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to ACCEPT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 1:48 pm, wrote:
I am finishing my basement. There was previously one duct to supply
the entire unfinished basement with air, which left it a little cool
in the winter. Now I'm creating a mechanical room of only about 150
sqft, a bathroom of 50 sqft, and a main room of about 700 sqft. I
have added two additional supply lines to heat the basement to a
comfortable temperature, and plan to install the requisite two
combustion air grates to "connect" the mechanical and main room. Do I
need to add a return air duct as well? Is it advisable or not for any
particular reason?

no do not add a return in the basement..

you do not want to lower the air pressure in the basement because this
is bad for combustion air supply and can pull in radon.

Mark