Peter Wells

Default AC return air duct

Our house was built in the mid '70's and has separate AC's for the up and
down stairs. The downstairs return air duct (goes from ground floor to the
AC in attic above the second floor) has an 8" by 12" hole that connects to
the space between the two floors! Is that normal?

TIA

Peter

TURTLE

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
Our house was built in the mid '70's and has separate AC's for the up and
down stairs. The downstairs return air duct (goes from ground floor to the
AC in attic above the second floor) has an 8" by 12" hole that connects to
the space between the two floors! Is that normal?

TIA

Peter

This is turtle.

Fired Too Soon.

No a 12" X 8" return does not sound like a big enough of a return air grill at
all , but tell us the model of the condenser out side or the model of the
furnace to get the size to see if this size matches up to see if the return is
OK. I really don't thing it is big enough for any size but post the size and I /
We / Somebody can tell you.

TURTLE

Peter Wells

TURTLE thanks for replying, I wasn't clear...

There is a filter that is 20" * 20" that collects air from the house. The
8" * 12" hole is in the side of the return duct where it passes between the
ground and the second floor. I was expecting the return air duct to be a
sealed column that connected the filter to the air handler in the attic and
was suprised to see it is connected to the space between the floors (through
the 8" * 12" hole).

FYI the unit is 5 tons so by all accounts the filter is too small - I was
planning on adding a second 20" * 20" filter.

Thanks,

Peter
"TURTLE" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

TURTLE

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
TURTLE thanks for replying, I wasn't clear...

There is a filter that is 20" * 20" that collects air from the house. The
8" * 12" hole is in the side of the return duct where it passes between the
ground and the second floor. I was expecting the return air duct to be a
sealed column that connected the filter to the air handler in the attic and
was suprised to see it is connected to the space between the floors (through
the 8" * 12" hole).

FYI the unit is 5 tons so by all accounts the filter is too small - I was
planning on adding a second 20" * 20" filter.

Thanks,

Peter

This is Turtle.

the filter is not too small but the return duct / hole is too small. A 8" X 12"
hole to return the air is good for about 2 tons at best.

TURTLE

Dr. Hardcrab

"Peter Wells" wrote

FYI the unit is 5 tons

Wow! You must have one big ass house! 5 tons?! and that's just for the
downstairs??!!!

Stormin Mormon

It is normal for air returning to the furnace to be in wall spaces.
Sometimes they nail or screw some sheet metal to the floor joists, and use
the bay between two or three floor joists.

The return air is essentially the same temp as the room, so it shouldn't
sweat or be hot or cold. The return air is under slight negative pressure,
so the duct doesn't have to be sealed totally tight. And it's before th e
air filter, so a little dust can get in.

Couple other fellows have adressed the question "is it a big enough duct".

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus