Peter Wells

TURTLE thanks for replying, I wasn't clear...

There is a filter that is 20" * 20" that collects air from the house. The
8" * 12" hole is in the side of the return duct where it passes between the
ground and the second floor. I was expecting the return air duct to be a
sealed column that connected the filter to the air handler in the attic and
was suprised to see it is connected to the space between the floors (through
the 8" * 12" hole).

FYI the unit is 5 tons so by all accounts the filter is too small - I was
planning on adding a second 20" * 20" filter.

Thanks,

Peter
"TURTLE" wrote in message
. ..

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
Our house was built in the mid '70's and has separate AC's for the up

and
down stairs. The downstairs return air duct (goes from ground floor to

the
AC in attic above the second floor) has an 8" by 12" hole that connects

the space between the two floors! Is that normal?

TIA

Peter

This is turtle.

Fired Too Soon.

No a 12" X 8" return does not sound like a big enough of a return air

grill at
all , but tell us the model of the condenser out side or the model of the
furnace to get the size to see if this size matches up to see if the

return is
OK. I really don't thing it is big enough for any size but post the size

and I /
We / Somebody can tell you.

TURTLE