SA Development

Default How hard is it to add a return duct to my heat/air system?

Hi everyone,

I've got a room that is my home office and I have to keep the door shut in
it all day. With the door shut, there is only a vent and no return air duct
in the room so the room gets warm during summer. I can see the cardboard
looking (not metal) ductwork and the return air looks like a box with silver
covering and the air ducts themselves are through a round silver flexible
line.

Here are my questions:

1. I think I can add the duct to my room pretty easily. How easy is it to
work with this cardboard ductwork? What tools will I need? Do I just need
to splice my return duct into the existing one? I have one not too far from
my office that is one of 2 main return ducts (in the hallway).

2. Should I consider adding another vent as well?

Thanks,

Alan

SQLit

"SA Development" wrote in message
news
[...]

Adding anything to the return air supply should be looked at by a pro.
I have never seen cardboard duct work. Fiber yes but not cardboad. The fiber
was made from fiberglass and has not been used much where I live cause of
health concerns.

Frank Boettcher

Calculate the area of the supply duct then cut the same area from the
bottom of the door. for instance if you have a six inch internal
diameter duct feeding your office the supply area would be 28.26
square inches so if your 30" door has an inch gap above finish floor
you should have enough return area. an eight inch diameter duct would
require about 1-3/4" above finished floor level. If you cannot get
enough by doing that put a return grill in your door. a lot simpler
than putting in a return duct.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:38:26 -0500, "SA Development"
wrote:

[...]

SA Development

Hi,

Adding anything to the return air supply should be looked at by a pro.
I have never seen cardboard duct work. Fiber yes but not cardboad. The
fiber
was made from fiberglass and has not been used much where I live cause of
health concerns.

To be honest, I'm not sure what it is. I know that it is not metal and has
a silver foil outside to it.

Thanks,

Alan

SA Development

Hi Frank,

Calculate the area of the supply duct then cut the same area from the
bottom of the door. for instance if you have a six inch internal
diameter duct feeding your office the supply area would be 28.26
square inches so if your 30" door has an inch gap above finish floor
you should have enough return area. an eight inch diameter duct would
require about 1-3/4" above finished floor level. If you cannot get
enough by doing that put a return grill in your door. a lot simpler
than putting in a return duct.

This was my first idea, but I use the office to work in and I have to keep
the noise of a toddler out of it, so I can't cut the door or put a door vent
in.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

PipeDown

"SA Development" wrote in message
Hi Frank,

Calculate the area of the supply duct then cut the same area from the
bottom of the door. for instance if you have a six inch internal
diameter duct feeding your office the supply area would be 28.26
square inches so if your 30" door has an inch gap above finish floor
you should have enough return area. an eight inch diameter duct would
require about 1-3/4" above finished floor level. If you cannot get
enough by doing that put a return grill in your door. a lot simpler
than putting in a return duct.

This was my first idea, but I use the office to work in and I have to keep
the noise of a toddler out of it, so I can't cut the door or put a door
vent in.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

If not through the door then down through the floor and back up the other
side of the wall. or into one wall cavity and out another (as long as it is
not a fire rated wall)

I don't have return air but adding a vent was easy. I just selected
apporpriate sized and shaped sheet metal for the end in the wall and
flexible 6" duct for the middle and a 6" WYE to connect it to the old duct
(I removed a section and used the WYE and a short section of flex to replace
the excised section). Don't forget the clamps and real Duct tape (has a
specification number on the label)

The cardboard like material may be some kind of applied insulation panel.
metal may be underneith.

SA Development

Hi Frank,

Calculate the area of the supply duct then cut the same area from the
bottom of the door. for instance if you have a six inch internal
diameter duct feeding your office the supply area would be 28.26
square inches so if your 30" door has an inch gap above finish floor
you should have enough return area. an eight inch diameter duct would
require about 1-3/4" above finished floor level. If you cannot get
enough by doing that put a return grill in your door. a lot simpler
than putting in a return duct.

I'm not sure if it is 6" or 8", but under my door between carpet and door
bottom is about 1/2". I would say that is probably not enough of a return
duct. This room is my office and it does have some equipment running in it
to keep it warmer (computer, monitor, printer, etc.), but I have to keep
noise out so I can't put a vent in the door or cut it shorter. The temp in
the rest of the house is about 77 deg and my office is running 83 deg now.

I could have the company who installed my system (house is about 3 years
old) put in another vent or an air return and/or I would still consider
doing it myself if it was hard work. The area in question is pretty easily
accessible.

Do you think I need a return vent, or an additional vent, or both?

Thanks,

Alan

Look up local tin shops. They make custom ductwork.

Take EXACT measurements and the'll just make it.

Tom