Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bill wrote:
Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

The pins normally will be in the end of the vertical stile, not just
through the horizontal. If they don't fit, thought, what have you lost?

I have cut hollow doors down substantially and fitted new ends in them
though, so even if you have to do that it is possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks. so the vertical stile is probably solid? maybe i'll drill
small pilot holes in the back to confirm. after i cut it down i
still need enough solid material to hold the guide pins. u think i
can take the full 2 inches just off the bottom? make it easier...
thks bill

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:16:16 -0600, dpb wrote:

bill wrote:
Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

The pins normally will be in the end of the vertical stile, not just
through the horizontal. If they don't fit, thought, what have you lost?

I have cut hollow doors down substantially and fitted new ends in them
though, so even if you have to do that it is possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bill wrote:
thanks. so the vertical stile is probably solid? maybe i'll drill
small pilot holes in the back to confirm. after i cut it down i
still need enough solid material to hold the guide pins. u think i
can take the full 2 inches just off the bottom? make it easier...
thks bill

They're a box w/ a skin and typically a cardboard crossframe interior.
Normally also you can see the end and top rail joint looking at the end
to see how wide a piece it is and whether the pins are in it or the
horizontal.

Sure you can take all off of one end, but you'll be guaranteed to have
an open end if you do. (Of course, you'll probably have a pretty thin
end piece if you take an inch off either end, too... ).

As I say, if they're 2" too long, you haven't lost much unless they're
new and could be returned which would seem unlikely...

Posted to alt.home.repair

If these are typical hollow core doors, leave the tops alone.

Score cut through the veneer to avoid splintering. Cut what you
need at the bottom. Take an appropriate size stick to push the
cardboard filler up into the door just a bit. Use a sharp chisel
or whatever to clean the veneer, etc off the original door bottom
stile. Glue, insert, and clamp.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"bill" wrote in message
Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make
it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when
the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan you r the man. thanks. worked like a charm. i cut off 2 and
1/16 off the bottom. instead of using the original medium density
fiberboard which like u said would need cleaning, i cut new bottoms
from 1x pine. thanks again, bill

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:01:15 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

If these are typical hollow core doors, leave the tops alone.

Score cut through the veneer to avoid splintering. Cut what you
need at the bottom. Take an appropriate size stick to push the
cardboard filler up into the door just a bit. Use a sharp chisel
or whatever to clean the veneer, etc off the original door bottom
stile. Glue, insert, and clamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DanG, Shannon Bishop wrote:
I need to trim the sides 3/8 on each outside panel, to fit the opening. The
opening is 47.75, and does not allow the doors to pivot. Is that OK.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...wn-272769-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Shannon Bishop, Time Warp wrote:
Sure, what do you have to lose other than 3/4" overall?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...wn-272769-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 8:01:03 AM UTC-8, bill wrote:
Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

Hey what about cutting an inch from the long side?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 13:31:44 -0400, micky
wrote:

Why are you so caught up in one brand of door. Shop around until you
find your size. I PRESUME that's what the builder did. He probably
bought doors that were the size he wanted.

Jeld Wen Ledbury Patio Door Kev UK diy 1 December 8th 06 06:37 PM
bifold door install Patt Home Repair 3 September 18th 06 03:56 AM
bifold door hardware to keep door closed Morgan Home Repair 3 May 1st 06 07:37 PM
Bifold Door Track Swift Half UK diy 0 November 8th 05 01:35 PM
bifold door guide mechanism Andy Adkin Home Repair 1 March 10th 05 08:50 PM