DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/225303-jeld-wen-bifold-door-cut-down.html)

bill December 9th 07 04:01 PM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

dpb December 9th 07 04:16 PM

bill wrote:
Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

The pins normally will be in the end of the vertical stile, not just
through the horizontal. If they don't fit, thought, what have you lost?

I have cut hollow doors down substantially and fitted new ends in them
though, so even if you have to do that it is possible.

bill December 9th 07 04:50 PM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

thanks. so the vertical stile is probably solid? maybe i'll drill
small pilot holes in the back to confirm. after i cut it down i
still need enough solid material to hold the guide pins. u think i
can take the full 2 inches just off the bottom? make it easier...
thks bill

dpb December 9th 07 06:10 PM

bill wrote:
thanks. so the vertical stile is probably solid? maybe i'll drill
small pilot holes in the back to confirm. after i cut it down i
still need enough solid material to hold the guide pins. u think i
can take the full 2 inches just off the bottom? make it easier...
thks bill

They're a box w/ a skin and typically a cardboard crossframe interior.
Normally also you can see the end and top rail joint looking at the end
to see how wide a piece it is and whether the pins are in it or the
horizontal.

Sure you can take all off of one end, but you'll be guaranteed to have
an open end if you do. (Of course, you'll probably have a pretty thin
end piece if you take an inch off either end, too... :) ).

As I say, if they're 2" too long, you haven't lost much unless they're
new and could be returned which would seem unlikely...

DanG December 9th 07 08:01 PM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

If these are typical hollow core doors, leave the tops alone.

Score cut through the veneer to avoid splintering. Cut what you
need at the bottom. Take an appropriate size stick to push the
cardboard filler up into the door just a bit. Use a sharp chisel
or whatever to clean the veneer, etc off the original door bottom
stile. Glue, insert, and clamp.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

bill December 10th 07 01:54 AM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

Dan you r the man. thanks. worked like a charm. i cut off 2 and
1/16 off the bottom. instead of using the original medium density
fiberboard which like u said would need cleaning, i cut new bottoms
from 1x pine. thanks again, bill

Shannon Bishop February 24th 18 11:44 PM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

replying to DanG, Shannon Bishop wrote:
I need to trim the sides 3/8 on each outside panel, to fit the opening. The
opening is 47.75, and does not allow the doors to pivot. Is that OK.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...wn-272769-.htm

Time Warp February 25th 18 04:14 PM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

replying to Shannon Bishop, Time Warp wrote:
Sure, what do you have to lose other than 3/4" overall? ;)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...wn-272769-.htm

[email protected] August 5th 20 06:14 PM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

On Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 8:01:03 AM UTC-8, bill wrote:
Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

Hey what about cutting an inch from the long side?

micky August 5th 20 06:31 PM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:14:03 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sunday, December 9, 2007 at 8:01:03 AM UTC-8, bill wrote:
Can I cut off 1 inch from top and bottom of door panels to make it fit
existing opening (i guess the builder must have done this when the
house was built) ? Is the top wood rail of the door wide enough to
give up 1 inch and still hold the pins? thks bill

If you want people to see your whole question, put the entire question
in the text of the post. Would you submit a paper with an essential
fact only in the title.

Have you tried to order the size you need?

Why are you so caught up in one brand of door. Shop around until you
find your size. I doubt that's what the builder did. He probably
bought doors that were the size he wanted.

micky August 5th 20 08:08 PM

Jeld Wen bifold door- cut down?

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 13:31:44 -0400, micky
wrote:

Why are you so caught up in one brand of door. Shop around until you
find your size. I PRESUME that's what the builder did. He probably
bought doors that were the size he wanted.