Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chainsaw chain question

Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18')
I have been running a Google search for a chain for this unit & all I have
been able to find is the Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05
gauge chain.I went to the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62)
listed.They recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05
gauge.the only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of
thinking is that something has to be different for the number of drive
links to be different.
Any help on this will be appreciated

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"jsema" wrote:

Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18')
I have been running a Google search for a chain for this unit & all I have
been able to find is the Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05
gauge chain.I went to the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62)
listed.They recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05
gauge.the only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of
thinking is that something has to be different for the number of drive
links to be different.
Any help on this will be appreciated

Did you try sears, or sears.com? One thing they've always been good
about is replacement parts. And for a chainsaw, a replacement chain is
about as basic as it gets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:45:25 -0600, "jsema"
wrote Re Chainsaw chain question:

Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18')
I have been running a Google search for a chain for this unit & all I have
been able to find is the Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05
gauge chain.I went to the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62)
listed.They recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05
gauge.the only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of
thinking is that something has to be different for the number of drive
links to be different.
Any help on this will be appreciated

The D66 is just a longer (bigger circumference) chain. You might be
able to use it if your bar has enough adjustment in it to take up the
approx. 1" slack caused by the extra 4 links.

If there is any place near you that services any kind of chain saw
they will likely be able to make you a custom length chain of the
proper gauge/pitch. They just cut 62 links from a 100' roll and make
it into a loop. They charge by the link or inch. That would probably
be your best bet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
[...]

Where I live, they have a western supply store. Big one. They sell chain
saws. They sell chain by the foot. They have a breaker there. If it were
mine, I could take it there, and simply pop off four links by punching one
pin. See if there's somewhere like that where you are. Or go to the local
chainsaw place, and they'll do it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:45:25 -0600, "jsema"
wrote Re Chainsaw chain question:

Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18')
I have been running a Google search for a chain for this unit & all I have
been able to find is the Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05
gauge chain.I went to the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62)
listed.They recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05
gauge.the only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of
thinking is that something has to be different for the number of drive
links to be different.
Any help on this will be appreciated

The D66 is just a longer (bigger circumference) chain. You might be
able to use it if your bar has enough adjustment in it to take up the
approx. 1" slack caused by the extra 4 links.

You don't need that much extra play in the bar. There will only be 2 extra
links on the top and 2 on the bottom.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 11:45 am, "jsema" wrote:
Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18')
I have been running a Google search for a chain for this unit & all I have
been able to find is the Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05
gauge chain.I went to the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62)
listed.They recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05
gauge.the only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of
thinking is that something has to be different for the number of drive
links to be different.
Any help on this will be appreciated

My local power equipment store gets the various pitch Oregon chains by
the spool, and will make the length you need while you watch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:45:25 -0600, jsema wrote:

Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18') I have been running a Google
search for a chain for this unit & all I have been able to find is the
Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05 gauge chain.I went to
the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62) listed.They
recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05 gauge.the
only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of thinking
is that something has to be different for the number of drive links to
be different.
Any help on this will be appreciated

For all the trouble you are going through, it might be easiest and
cheapest to go to local chainsaw dealer and see what chains are suitable
for your saw. Many dealers buy in bulk and can cut a chain to length.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jsema wrote:
Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18')
I have been running a Google search for a chain for this unit & all I have
been able to find is the Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05
gauge chain.I went to the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62)
listed.They recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05
gauge.the only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of
thinking is that something has to be different for the number of drive
links to be different.
Any help on this will be appreciated

Contact http://www.baileysonline.com/ and tell them about your chainsaw
and tell them you need a replacement "loop" and they will take care of
you. This is assuming that you don't have anyone local who sells and
services chainsaws because it would always be easier to simply carry the
saw to them, plunk it down on the counter, and tell them to replace the
chain and check the bar and sprocket.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:07:02 -0600, S. Barker wrote:

Eighteen foot chain may have to be custom made.

I use my eighteen foot to clear cut faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 6:52 pm, franz frippl wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:07:02 -0600, S. Barker wrote:
Eighteen foot chain may have to be custom made.

I use my eighteen foot to clear cut faster.

I worked for a True Value and made up lengths of chain for customers.
You would be surprised how many men would ask to take out links in a
too-worn-out chain...just so they wouldn't have to buy a new one!
Some people shouldn't be cuttin' !