Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upsizing chainsaw bar and chain

Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to
add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that
the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I
doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/25/2007 11:29 AM yddraig said the following:
Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to
add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that
the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I
doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

Longer bar, longer cut, more HP needed. Will the HP of your Poulan
handle the extra work?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 1:09 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"yddraig" wrote in message

oups.com...

Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to
add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that
the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I
doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

Worst thing that could happen is you burn out the motor.

Steve

Engine size is 38cc, I have no idea what the horsepower rating is.

Roy

Posted to alt.home.repair

yddraig wrote:
Engine size is 38cc, I have no idea what the horsepower rating is.

Husqavarna's 45cc chainsaws go up to 18". Maybe Poulan wasn't kidding.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 1:09 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"yddraig" wrote in message

oups.com...

Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to
add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that
the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I
doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

Worst thing that could happen is you burn out the motor.

Steve

Extremely unlikely, IME. You might be able to make the clutch slip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

no.

--
Steve Barker

"yddraig" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to
add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that
the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I
doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Upsizing to too big a bar and chain will make the chain not work
optimally, bogging the motor down even further. 38cc wont have the
power to handle a 20 inch bar (which will also probably have a much
deeper, more aggressive chain). It will probably run, and make the
chain go, but I doubt you'd make very much progress actually cutting -
very slow going. Also, a larger bar/chain will probably mean a
*thicker* chain which won't fit around your clutch. I just went
through this with my Husqvarna. Replacing the clutch would have worked
within reason (there's only so much room in there for the clutch), but
at that point I was more than halfway to just buying a bigger saw that
was built for what I needed.

On Jul 25, 11:29 am, yddraig wrote:
Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to
add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that
the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I
doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 11:29 am, yddraig wrote:
Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to
add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that
the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I
doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

For the horsepower I'd say your saw was about maxxed out at 16"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 8:29 am, yddraig wrote:
Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to
add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that
the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I
doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

It won't do any damage but probably won't cut well. There is an out
though.

Use a full skip chain on the 20" bar and that should cut acceptably
well. Won't set any speed records but should cut.

I am using a full skip 25" bar/chain on my Stihl ms310 to cut the big
stuff. On regular it carries a 20" full house chain.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are chains which do not have as many cutters per inch on them. There
is a "half skip" chain and a "full skip" chain.

With these you can have a longer bar and use the same amount of power to
cut.

Chain types...
http://www.oregonchain.com