Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Chainsaw chain question

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:45:25 -0600, "jsema"
wrote Re Chainsaw chain question:

Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18')
I have been running a Google search for a chain for this unit & all I have
been able to find is the Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05
gauge chain.I went to the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62)
listed.They recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05
gauge.the only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of
thinking is that something has to be different for the number of drive
links to be different.
Any help on this will be appreciated

The D66 is just a longer (bigger circumference) chain. You might be
able to use it if your bar has enough adjustment in it to take up the
approx. 1" slack caused by the extra 4 links.

If there is any place near you that services any kind of chain saw
they will likely be able to make you a custom length chain of the
proper gauge/pitch. They just cut 62 links from a 100' roll and make
it into a loop. They charge by the link or inch. That would probably
be your best bet.

Where I live, they have a western supply store. Big one. They sell chain
saws. They sell chain by the foot. They have a breaker there. If it were
mine, I could take it there, and simply pop off four links by punching one
pin. See if there's somewhere like that where you are. Or go to the local
chainsaw place, and they'll do it.

Steve