Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC power not at spec.

I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line
keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from
the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having
trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does
not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is
stumped, and the power Co. is no help.

Ron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 11:30 am, Ron Lyle wrote:
I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line
keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from
the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having
trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does
not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is
stumped, and the power Co. is no help.

Ron

I don't see how any competent electrician could be stumped. Where is
the voltage being measured? If inside the house somewhere it's 90V,
but it's OK at the meter, then the problem is in your house. If
it's 90 at the meter, it's from there back to the pole, which is
generally the power company's responsibility. Most likely this is a
power company problem.

What exactly did the electrician and power company tell you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Dec 2007 10:30:02 -0600, Ron Lyle wrote:
I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line
keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from
the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having
trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does
not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is
stumped, and the power Co. is no help.

Get a different electrician. This is really basic stuff. Either the
company has a bad connection to your house, or there is a bad connection
inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get the fire dept involved. That's what i did when my voltage was
fluctuating wildly. The power co didn't respond favorably, so i called the
fire dispatch. They said do you have a fire? I said NOT YET, and explained
the situation. The power and light co. was out 15 minutes later with
several men.

The fact that your 'other' leg is not wavering is very mysterious. I think
i'd be looking for a bad connection or possibly a bad transformer.

"Ron Lyle" wrote in message
I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line
keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from
the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having
trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does
not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is
stumped, and the power Co. is no help.

Ron

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry if this is basic, but is it bad only at one outlet, if all the lights
in your house work ok then I would assume it is on the line feeding the
outlet. Note most places power is 120 Volts.

"Ron Lyle" wrote in message
I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line
keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from
the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having
trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does
not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is
stumped, and the power Co. is no help.

Ron

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron Lyle" wrote in message

I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line
keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from
the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having
trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does
not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is
stumped, and the power Co. is no help.

Ron- Hide quoted text -

i had this trouble once, wierd seeing just part of the house lights go
dim. called power company naturally everything was perfect when they
arrived.

2 days later the dim side went out and power company replaced the
transformer........

intermittents can be a hassle to fix, better when something quits
completely
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line
keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from
the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having
trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does
not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is
stumped, and the power Co. is no help.

More information: The is a voltage drop early in the morning when the
city is comming alive (5:00 to 9:00AM). I will check all connections
on my side of the breaker box and look for an open netural. When I
bought the house the builder had not connected several grounds on some
outlets. A loose connection would give the trouble, except I only see
the problem in the evining (7:00 to 10:00 PM) and in the morning from
(5:00 to 9:00 AM). During the day the voltage a solid 116 VAC. The
power company will get another call and I hope to get a rep. who
understands my problem. I am testing the circut with a DVOM and the
voltage get's down long enough for the meter to respont.

Ron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Time of day seems to point to the power company. Do you have electric
heat/heat pump which would also be on then, unless you are lucky enough to
be living where it still is warm.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I spent Saturday going through the breaker box, beautiful day to turn
off the heat and found a loose and badly burned buss bolt. I replaced
the bolt, cleaned the connection and replaced one breaker. The breaker
was working but were hot to the touch. We now have a good steady 120
VAC on both legs from the power company. Thanks to everyone for their
help.

Ron
On 5 Dec 2007 10:30:02 -0600, Ron Lyle wrote:

I am having trouble with one 110 VAC power to the house. The line
keeps vering between 115 VAC to under 90 VAC. The house is wired from
the power Co. with two hots (110 VAC) and a netural. I am having
trouble with one phase (110 VAC) and the other phase (110 VAC) does
not fluxuate. What could it be? I have had an electrican and he is
stumped, and the power Co. is no help.

Ron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Dec 2007 19:12:01 -0600, Ron Lyle wrote:
I spent Saturday going through the breaker box, beautiful day to turn
off the heat and found a loose and badly burned buss bolt. I replaced
the bolt, cleaned the connection and replaced one breaker. The breaker
was working but were hot to the touch. We now have a good steady 120
VAC on both legs from the power company. Thanks to everyone for their
help.

If you gave the first electrician any money, you need to stop payment
on the check if possible, or take him to court.
The fault was really *really* basic stuff. A 15 second description at
small claims court in front of the judge will win the case for you
automatically. Just say the problem, what you found, and how any
competant electrician should have had the skills to locate the fault.

Radiator Spec - just before I buy! [email protected] UK diy 6 February 15th 07 02:31 PM
Dbl Glazing spec Davao UK diy 5 December 7th 05 04:38 PM
Help with spec. jtech Electronics Repair 2 April 7th 04 03:56 AM
Theromstat Spec Marc Jennings UK diy 4 November 11th 03 01:46 PM
Power Shower Spec Matt Scantlebury UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:05 PM