Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hunter (44550) thermostat makes noise when I press the light bar

I bought and installed one about a week ago and it's doing a great job
of controlling the furnace and temperature. But I discovered that
when I press the light bar on the left side of the devices, a quiet
and high pitched tone is emitted.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be result of a bad
component? Bad soldering? When I first opened the thermostat up I
wasn't terribly impressed w/ the workmanship of component mounting on
the circuit board.

The other question is of course - is this just normal and expected
operation of the device? I suppose I could call/email Hunter too!
But I do love talking to the "Internet."

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I bought and installed one about a week ago and it's doing a great job
of controlling the furnace and temperature. But I discovered that
when I press the light bar on the left side of the devices, a quiet
and high pitched tone is emitted.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be result of a bad
component? Bad soldering? When I first opened the thermostat up I
wasn't terribly impressed w/ the workmanship of component mounting on
the circuit board.

The other question is of course - is this just normal and expected
operation of the device? I suppose I could call/email Hunter too!
But I do love talking to the "Internet."

Jim

I agree. It's best to ask questions like this on the internet, where you are
least likely to find a solution to the problem. Never call the manufacturer,
even though it's free and might result in the quickest results, especially
if the unit is still under warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 9:29 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

Impressive. This is why it's so much fun!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clark" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

wrote in message
[...]

Whatever you do, don't share knowledge.

I once called Intermatic to complain about two of their in-wall timers
failing with a CF bulb. The person said "Sorry...yeah...we're finding out
there's a problem with that model, and we don't have a solution yet. You can
get a refund at Home Depot, or we'll send you a replacement, if you can use
it with a regular bulb for now". I opted for a replacement, and they told me
to throw away the failed unit. Over a year later, out of the blue, they sent
a new model that works with CF bulbs.

I wonder if I would've gotten the same results if my FIRST stop had been an
online discussion group. It's good to share information, but if you want
results, the best idea seems to be the most direct path. Just my opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

It sometimes is nice to know before calling the manufacturer if others
are also encountering the same problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clark" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
news
"Clark" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

wrote in message
.
..
[...]

How exactly would sharing the problem with other folks change the result
of
your call to the manufacturer?

Admittedly, my attitude is based on having seen discussion which lasted a
day or three or four, and finally, at the end, the OP said "Yeah, I guess
maybe I should call the manufacturer. It's under warranty anyway." Duh.

Wouldn't calling the manufacturer first have been better than wading through
75 messages for 4 days?

My theory: Many people have some sort of strange fear of calling
corporations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 10:28 am, Clark wrote:
wrote in news:dcbbc519-df81-4578-9bd9-
:

I bought and installed one about a week ago and it's doing a great job
of controlling the furnace and temperature. But I discovered that
when I press the light bar on the left side of the devices, a quiet
and high pitched tone is emitted.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be result of a bad
component? Bad soldering? When I first opened the thermostat up I
wasn't terribly impressed w/ the workmanship of component mounting on
the circuit board.

The other question is of course - is this just normal and expected
operation of the device? I suppose I could call/email Hunter too!
But I do love talking to the "Internet."

Yup, the Hunter's appear to be cheaply made units. I have three of them and
they all hum just like all the other Indiglo devices I have. They also do
their jobs quite well so I'm not worried about the appearance.

Googling Indiglo and looking around a bit it turns out that the light is
generated by electroluminescence. The system requires AC and more than 100
volts. The electroluminescence light source is essentially an AC capicitor so
perhaps that is generating thenoise.

Interesting, thanks for the info!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 4, 11:39 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

snip

My theory: Many people have some sort of strange fear of calling
corporations.

Maybe the reason for that is the wretched automated menus starting
with, "press 1 for English...press 2 for Swahili...press 3 for
Esperanto....press 23## if you know your client's extension...or stay
on the line and an operator will be with your shortly..sometime this
year."

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:57:49 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Dec 4, 11:39 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

snip

My theory: Many people have some sort of strange fear of calling
corporations.

Maybe the reason for that is the wretched automated menus starting
with, "press 1 for English...press 2 for Swahili...press 3 for
Esperanto....press 23## if you know your client's extension...or stay
on the line and an operator will be with your shortly..sometime this
year."

I hate the phone. but I've gotta plug these folks. I called
Whirpool's 800 number for an old washing machine whose manual didn't
show up in their online files.

Got a real live *english speaking* person on the second ring. They
asked what I needed & directed me to another operator. She
apologized about the shape of their online files- and emailed me a
pdf. I had the pdf less than 4 minutes from when I dialed the phone.

OTOH- Moen, Dell, Walmart, and a few others have frustrated me to
distraction.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
[...]

I called GE once when I was a new homeowner trying to understand some
strange washing maching symptoms and noises. Got some guy in TN or KY who
told me to turn the control to the wash cycle and hold the phone near the
machine. He listened and said "It's the transmission." He gave me the phone
numbers & addresses of 3 parts places in my town, and told me a few of the
tools I'd need to do the work. I was amazed.

Moen was equally good. They sent me a free shower faucet part that failed
due to debris in the water supply. Not their fault at all, but they sent the
part anyway.