Posted to alt.home.repair
FH FH is offline

Default cable tv line inside wall

is there a new tool out there that is easy to use to fish a cable tv line
down inside a bedroom wall? ( so i can find it as it reaches the hole i made
for it to come out at?)

a web link would be great!

thanks for any help

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "FH" wrote:
is there a new tool out there that is easy to use to fish a cable tv line
down inside a bedroom wall? ( so i can find it as it reaches the hole i made
for it to come out at?)

a web link would be great!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_tape

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"FH" wrote in message
. ..
is there a new tool out there that is easy to use to fish a cable tv line
down inside a bedroom wall? ( so i can find it as it reaches the hole i
made for it to come out at?)

a web link would be great!

thanks for any help

Are you dropping it from straight above? If so, add some weight to it, like
some fishing sinkers. No web link needed. Go to a sporting goods store.
Also, when fishing wire that's very flexible, it sometimes helps to first
snake a wire that's stiffer, like a piece of 3 conductor electrical cable.
You can "steer" that stuff more easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:41:32 -0800, FH wrote:

is there a new tool out there that is easy to use to fish a cable tv
line down inside a bedroom wall? ( so i can find it as it reaches the
hole i made for it to come out at?)

a web link would be great!

thanks for any help

My father with 40+ years experience with the phone company used a clothes
hanger, string and weight to fish wires through walls. For weights, he
often used nuts.

Drop the weighted string from above and use the clothes hanger from below
to "hook" the string and pull it through. Works like a charm, and the
price is right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"FH" wrote in
:

is there a new tool out there that is easy to use to fish a cable tv
line down inside a bedroom wall? ( so i can find it as it reaches the
hole i made for it to come out at?)

a web link would be great!

thanks for any help

Here's the latest and greatest in fishing wires in the walls, etc. The
video are pretty cool. You could maybe make a crude one out of magnets.

http://www.magnepull.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 5:10�pm, HaLiGoOn wrote:
"FH" wrote m:

is there a new tool out there that is easy to use to fish a cable tv
line down inside a bedroom wall? ( so i can find it as it reaches the
hole i made for it to come out at?)

a web link would be great!

thanks for any help

Here's the latest and greatest in fishing wires in the walls, etc. �The
video are pretty cool. �You could maybe make a crude one out of magnets.

http://www.magnepull.com/

drill up from below with extra long electricians bit, in 3 foot
increments
Posted to alt.home.repair

FH wrote:
is there a new tool out there that is easy to use to fish a cable tv line
down inside a bedroom wall? ( so i can find it as it reaches the hole i made
for it to come out at?)

a web link would be great!

thanks for any help

If the wall is interior. And if there is no fire break. Then simply
dropping a string down the attic hole with a weight attached (I use a
short length of small steel chain)and grabbing it from below through the
outlet hole you cut is easy. A flexible magnet "grabber" tool makes the
chain easy to get hold of.

If there is a fire break then you will need to use a long installer's
bit upward from the bottom hole to get through the firebreak. Or even
better if you have the nerve you can drill it from the attic through the
top plate _and_ the fire break then attach a pull string to the bit and
then drop it. With luck you will have picked the correct wall cavity and
won't lose your expensive 4' or 5' bit inside the wall.

If it is an insulated outside wall then you will probably need a
fiberglass fish pole (not the kind used for catching fish, the kind for
fishing cables) to get through the mess inside the wall.

If all of this seems like too much to face then you can always pay an
installer for his/her experience or simply attack the wall as required
and repair the plasterboard afterward. Over the decades I have installed
more miles of cables of various sorts than I care to think about and
quite often it still comes down to creativity and experimentation when I
get to a unique situation as I have several times in my own home while
installing network, phone, coax, and power wiring.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]