Rald

Default gas line inside soffit

I have removed a drop ceiling in basement as part of a renovation. The
drop ceiling will be replaced with drywall connected directly to floor
joists. To hide water piping, I ran it along the outside of an
insulated HVAC trunk line and then between joists. The trunk line will
be enclosed inside of a drywall soffit when the renovation gets further
along.

I want to relocate the natural gas pipe to run along the outside of the
HVAC duct before enclosing the duct, water pipes, and gas pipe in the
soffit. As long as I use black iron pipe, this appears OK with the
National Fuel Gas code that applies to the town. Am I interpreting the
code correctly? I would like to have as many ducks in a row as
possible before approaching the local inspector. Thanks for any
advice.

Sincerely,

rald

Rald

There are other requirements, such as no unions, not using gas piping
as ground, leak testing, compound only on male threads, but I was
wondering about whether a special type of chase or casing would be
required for the enclosed gas piping. I want to have everything
straight before drawing out my plans for the inspector and extra
opinions may help with a detail an inspector missed between the time
the sketch is reviewed and the inspector visits the site. Thanks for
and feedback.