Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default cable tv line inside wall

FH wrote:
is there a new tool out there that is easy to use to fish a cable tv line
down inside a bedroom wall? ( so i can find it as it reaches the hole i made
for it to come out at?)

a web link would be great!

thanks for any help

If the wall is interior. And if there is no fire break. Then simply
dropping a string down the attic hole with a weight attached (I use a
short length of small steel chain)and grabbing it from below through the
outlet hole you cut is easy. A flexible magnet "grabber" tool makes the
chain easy to get hold of.

If there is a fire break then you will need to use a long installer's
bit upward from the bottom hole to get through the firebreak. Or even
better if you have the nerve you can drill it from the attic through the
top plate _and_ the fire break then attach a pull string to the bit and
then drop it. With luck you will have picked the correct wall cavity and
won't lose your expensive 4' or 5' bit inside the wall.

If it is an insulated outside wall then you will probably need a
fiberglass fish pole (not the kind used for catching fish, the kind for
fishing cables) to get through the mess inside the wall.

If all of this seems like too much to face then you can always pay an
installer for his/her experience or simply attack the wall as required
and repair the plasterboard afterward. Over the decades I have installed
more miles of cables of various sorts than I care to think about and
quite often it still comes down to creativity and experimentation when I
get to a unique situation as I have several times in my own home while
installing network, phone, coax, and power wiring.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]