Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Touhgest drill bit for metal

Hi,
What is toughest drill bit for drilling many, many holes
thru a bolt stuck in a confined space. I am trying to drill
it into bits to break it off. There is no other means to get rid of it.
Cobalt bit or any other better one?
TIA,
Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps you could describe the problem a little bit. There are
easy outs and other methods of working on stuck bolts. There are
even acids that might lend themselves.

If you break off a cobalt bit in your stuck bolt, things could be
much worse.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
What is toughest drill bit for drilling many, many holes
thru a bolt stuck in a confined space. I am trying to drill
it into bits to break it off. There is no other means to get rid
of it.
Cobalt bit or any other better one?
TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 8:53 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
What is toughest drill bit for drilling many, many holes
thru a bolt stuck in a confined space. I am trying to drill
it into bits to break it off. There is no other means to get rid of it.
Cobalt bit or any other better one?
TIA,

When I've taken things to a machine shop to get
a broken hardened bolt removed, the guys have
used a carbide bit in a drill press using light steady
pressure and sometimes a lubricant. I have used
a Dremel tool with a carbide tip to remove broken
grade 8 studs when making equipment repairs.
You can carve it out and sometimes use a small
chisel to break out the fragments.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article JU60j.8639$fD.1416@pd7urf3no,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
What is toughest drill bit for drilling many, many holes
thru a bolt stuck in a confined space. I am trying to drill
it into bits to break it off. There is no other means to get rid of it.
Cobalt bit or any other better one?
TIA,

Toughest standard bit is solid carbide. But, probably too brittle for
use in a hand held drill. Carbide tipped might be OK, or cobalt as you
said. Your ability to do this successfully is going to be dependent on
several factors, including the hardness of the bolt in question, and
your skill. Speeds and feeds are going to be important. Step drilling is
essential.

Do use sharp drills.
Do use a goodly amount of pressure.
Do use a fairly low RPM.
Do use cutting oil.

If you screw this up you'll end up with drill bits broken in holes, or
work-hardened steel. Either will make a difficult job more so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 02:53:29 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
What is toughest drill bit for drilling many, many holes
thru a bolt stuck in a confined space. I am trying to drill
it into bits to break it off. There is no other means to get rid of it.
Cobalt bit or any other better one?
TIA,

You're going to use drill BITS to break a bolt into BITS....
I think you are a BIT crazy ! or maybe pulling our legs a BIT.
But whatever you do, be sure there are no dogs nearby, or you may get
BIT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 11:19 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 02:53:29 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
What is toughest drill bit for drilling many, many holes
thru a bolt stuck in a confined space. I am trying to drill
it into bits to break it off. There is no other means to get rid of it.
Cobalt bit or any other better one?
TIA,

You're going to use drill BITS to break a bolt into BITS....
I think you are a BIT crazy ! or maybe pulling our legs a BIT.
But whatever you do, be sure there are no dogs nearby, or you may get
BIT.

Hi,
Big Oops, sorry, I meant breaking a nut not a bolt.

If you can get to it with a nutcracker or bolt splitter,
it could be removed that way. You mentioned a
confined space and I have used the good old Dremel
tool or die grinder with a metal cutting disk or hardened
cutting tip to cut grooves or slots on either side of the nut.
You don't have to cut all the way through to the bolt
threads, cut deep enough weaken the nut and use a
small chisel to break it. Here's a link that shows the type
of Dremel cutters I've used to remove broken, stuck or
rounded off nuts and bolts.

http://tinyurl.com/2mwnwm

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Oops, sorry, I meant breaking a nut not a bolt.

You can't use these?

http://www.nextag.com/nut-splitter/s...8627AB54E6A954
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

OOPS! I should have typed, "nut splitter". Age
related premature postification.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
We'd really like some more details. What kind of a device are you repairing?
How big a bolt, how big a nut, and what kind of bolt? Much, much, more
detail.

The answer is likely to be carbide with diamond grit embedded in the tip.

Hi,
It's so called spline type lug nut on a small Japanese car after market
rim. The nut spline cap broke off(it was hollow tubing kinda thing, not
solid metal) Now the tapered nut is in a recessed hole making it almost
impossible to do anything. Time to put on winter tire/rim and I am
stuck. Out of 5 lugs this one is giving me a big headache. Having almost
no room to do anything, drilling was my idea. Think the El Cheapo lug
was the cause. I was using air impact wrench. I suspect the cap was
partially cracked on the side by road debris or something. It shouldn't
break(shear) off like that. I was even thinking about using welding
torch sacrificing the rim and/or stud. So far no snow yet, so I still
have some time on my side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 4:29 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I bet you can get it with a screw extractor then.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 20, 10:29 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

how 'bout something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Out-Lug-.../dp/B000I1GS3O

I believe they are sold at Sears as "Bolt-Out" I have used the smaller
sizes with some success (stripped Allen head cap screws in recessed
holes of a supercharger bracket in a really bad location; I was not
looking forward to pulling the radiator and drilling.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote in
:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Advance Auto parts sells an extractor for removing tapered "security" lug
nuts,they come in a couple of different sizes.Saw them on my last visit,in
the special tool section.(or was it Harbor Freight??? senior moment!)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Well, lets think about this. You drill a hole in the end of the stud, and
use a screw extractor. What do you REALLY think will be the result?

the extractor breaks. (if the drill bit doesn't first.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik