Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Touhgest drill bit for metal

TimR wrote in
:

On Nov 20, 4:29 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
We'd really like some more details. What kind of a device are you
repairing? How big a bolt, how big a nut, and what kind of bolt?
Much, much, more detail.

The answer is likely to be carbide with diamond grit embedded in
the tip.

Hi,
It's so called spline type lug nut on a small Japanese car after
market rim. The nut spline cap broke off(it was hollow tubing kinda
thing, not solid metal) Now the tapered nut is in a recessed hole
making it almost impossible to do anything. Time to put on winter
tire/rim and I am stuck. Out of 5 lugs this one is giving me a big
headache. Having almost no room to do anything, drilling was my idea.
Think the El Cheapo lug was the cause. I was using air impact wrench.
I suspect the cap was partially cracked on the side by road debris or
something. It shouldn't break(shear) off like that. I was even
thinking about using welding torch sacrificing the rim and/or stud.
So far no snow yet, so I still have some time on my side.

I bet you can get it with a screw extractor then.

Advance Auto parts sells an extractor for removing tapered "security" lug
nuts,they come in a couple of different sizes.Saw them on my last visit,in
the special tool section.(or was it Harbor Freight??? senior moment!)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik