Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas furnace

Hello. I am renting a house in Idaho and the gas furnace is loud when
it goes on. It is not an explosion, it seems more like some sort of
resonance similar to an old motorcycle that goes on for a few minutes
before the hot air starts blowing. I have never heard a gas furnace
this loud. The landlords have vacuumed it and it hasn't helped. Any
suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 3:41 pm, edwin_g wrote:
Hello. I am renting a house in Idaho and the gas furnace is loud when
it goes on. It is not an explosion, it seems more like some sort of
resonance similar to an old motorcycle that goes on for a few minutes
before the hot air starts blowing. I have never heard a gas furnace
this loud. The landlords have vacuumed it and it hasn't helped. Any
suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks.

You could tell the landlords that you don't feel safe and ask them to
have it professionally inspected. Offer to split the cost with them
($45 - $75 in western NY) or if you have kids, use them as an excuse.
"I'm not trying to be pushy, I'm just looking out for my family."

If they refuse, play the "I'll call the local housing authority" card.
You might **** 'em off, but if you're really concerned that it's not
safe, and they are not willing to have it inspected on the chance that
it will fail, then you don't want them as landlords anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Nov 15, 7:35 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
It would not hurt to have it inspected, but I believe you will find out
that it is normal for that type of high efficiency technology.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

High eff do sound like a jet when they get ready to fire up
Posted to alt.home.repair

"edwin_g" wrote in message

Hello. I am renting a house in Idaho and the gas furnace is loud when
it goes on. It is not an explosion, it seems more like some sort of
resonance similar to an old motorcycle that goes on for a few minutes
before the hot air starts blowing. I have never heard a gas furnace
this loud. The landlords have vacuumed it and it hasn't helped. Any
suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

High eff do sound like a jet when they get ready to fire up

My house (before I got nat gas) had a 70s oil burner...and it fired-up
in the middle-of-the-night, what the H!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"edwin_g" wrote in message

Hello. I am renting a house in Idaho and the gas furnace is loud when
it goes on. It is not an explosion, it seems more like some sort of
resonance similar to an old motorcycle that goes on for a few minutes
before the hot air starts blowing. I have never heard a gas furnace
this loud. The landlords have vacuumed it and it hasn't helped. Any
suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

High eff do sound like a jet when they get ready to fire up

Sometimes the small blower motors start to go belly-up and make a lot
of noise on the high eff. models.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Noisy is a relative concept. If you read info on furnaces - you'll find
that some are quite noisy. My old furnace is MUCH quieter than some new
high efficiency units belonging to my neighbors. Doubt that the landlord
picked that model, just to annoy you and others.

If you insist on inspection, offer to pay for it, especially if the furnace
if found OK. If the furnace if found defective, the landlord should pay for
the whole thing.

RichK

"edwin_g" wrote in message
Hello. I am renting a house in Idaho and the gas furnace is loud when
it goes on. It is not an explosion, it seems more like some sort of
resonance similar to an old motorcycle that goes on for a few minutes
before the hot air starts blowing. I have never heard a gas furnace
this loud. The landlords have vacuumed it and it hasn't helped. Any
suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:41:08 -0800 (PST), edwin_g
wrote:

Hello. I am renting a house in Idaho and the gas furnace is loud when
it goes on. It is not an explosion, it seems more like some sort of
resonance similar to an old motorcycle that goes on for a few minutes
before the hot air starts blowing. I have never heard a gas furnace
this loud. The landlords have vacuumed it and it hasn't helped. Any
suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks.

You didn't describe the nature of the noise. If it is the motor
sounding if it takes a bang first then runs like it is shaking some
metal sheets loose then its the squirrel cage blower bearing that is
probably ovalled. The motor axle flops around the ovalled holes.
There is a metallic bang on starting up and on the motor stopping.

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from rusting clickclack Home Repair 7 July 7th 06 10:55 PM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM