Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New heating furnace

I have a Carrier home heating furnace 1989

So far working fine but thinking of replacing it with new furnace

Any recommendation what to look for? Any make or model recommendation?

What questions should I ask to HVAC contractor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 4:34�pm, c_shah wrote:
I have a Carrier home heating furnace 1989

So far working fine but thinking of replacing it with new furnace

Any recommendation what to look for? Any make or model recommendation?

What questions should I ask to HVAC contractor?

my furnace was new in 1965.......

is it time...........
Posted to alt.home.repair

"c_shah" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Carrier home heating furnace 1989

So far working fine but thinking of replacing it with new furnace

I'm sorry to hear that you have too much money. I'd be happy to act as
broker to get all your old appliances replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

c_shah wrote:
I have a Carrier home heating furnace 1989

So far working fine but thinking of replacing it with new furnace

Any recommendation what to look for? Any make or model recommendation?

What questions should I ask to HVAC contractor?

I have one small point you might want to look into. I
got a new furnace 2 years ago and the only problem I
have with it is that the blower is loud. You might want
to check on that before you buy a new furnace.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks every one for the info. Yes, old furnace is working fine but
too noisy and we are little cold always even themostat is set to 72.
May need to rethink before start calling out HVAC contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

c_shah wrote:
Thanks every one for the info. Yes, old furnace is working fine but
too noisy and we are little cold always even themostat is set to 72.
May need to rethink before start calling out HVAC contractor.

We just got a new Thermo Pride with staged blower and it is quieter than
old Lennox furnace. Lennox was a POS and we did not find until
afterwards that they made cheap grades such as we got ~16 years ago.

Wife was not as satisfied with temperature but I doubt thermometers on
thermostats are that accurate. She became happy when I cranked up new
one a couple of degrees

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
c_shah wrote:
Thanks every one for the info. Yes, old furnace is working fine but
too noisy and we are little cold always even themostat is set to 72.
May need to rethink before start calling out HVAC contractor.

We just got a new Thermo Pride with staged blower and it is quieter than
old Lennox furnace. Lennox was a POS and we did not find until afterwards
that they made cheap grades such as we got ~16 years ago.

Wife was not as satisfied with temperature but I doubt thermometers on
thermostats are that accurate. She became happy when I cranked up new one
a couple of degrees

Frank

Temperature is temperature,

72 in a lennox is the same as 72 on a thremo pride,
if 72 is not comfortable, then maybe its not the temp that is the problem
but the humidity level.

if humidity is too low, its possible that the 72 feels like 68

( humidex index/rating that you use on hot days applies to cold days too)

consider a humidifier added to the existing system to make 72 feel more like
72 based on relative humidity levels.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

c_shah wrote:
[...]

We have a humidifier on the furnace and it is working. Old Lennox
thermostat was analog and new Thermo Pride's Honeywell thermostat is
digital. Right now it reads 71 deg. F but another digital thermometer
brought right next to it reads 73. Chances are that old unit was reading
lower than actual temperature.

Heat distribution in house seems better with new furnace.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it were mine, I would not be replacing what seems to be a perfectly
good furnace. Otherwise I'd be looking into exactly what the problem
is and not necessarily blaming the furnace. For all I know it' really
just a draft soemplace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 3:58�pm, wrote:
If it were mine, I would not be replacing what seems to be a perfectly
good furnace. �Otherwise I'd be looking into exactly what the problem
is and not necessarily blaming the furnace. �For all I know it' really
just a draft soemplace.

Was the furnace always noisy?? If not, perhaps maintenance might
alleviate. If the external thermometer reads lower than the
thermostat, set the thermostat a couple of degrees, the OLD
thermostats had adjustable dials, wife liked to set the dial at 80, so
I adjusted it to read 80 and actually be 75. I know that is warmer
than is PC, but......change air filter, have your ducts been cleaned
recently??
When I replaced my downstairs ceiling, I found that the builders had
turned the return duct for the bedroom 16 inches too soon, so it was
vacuuming the space between floor and ceiling.
When I replaced the 40 year old furnace which was noisy and
inefficient, I insisted that we get a LARGER BTU capacity than the
older one, to the chagrin of the estimator, but have been happy with
the unit for almost 20 years now, tho it is getting a little noisy.
WM